Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pictures on website that customer can update?

okay I help a friend (his a business friend that pay me to do him a website) with his website but he wants to add photos without having to contact me. Does anyone know any way to do this? I know a way to do it with flash and some java scripts, but he is going to have to upload to the server.

I want an easy and simple way like adding photos to facebook.

Default Re: pictures on website that customer can update?

Unfortunately, you can't add anything to an already published and online Xara software built website unless you use Xara Web Designer or Designer Pro to do so and then re-publish to the host. These are the cold hard facts of using absolute positioning WYSYWYG design >> HTML applications.

You could use a cms with the website and then it would be possible for your friend to login and upload images to the server. Whenever a client wants to update anything on their own site a cms is usually the best option.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Hi raint567

Xtom has developed as CMS package to be used with xara but of course he cant say here look back a few pages in the forum and you will find the postings. He has a You tube video too, this may work for you.

Scruffy

Looks fun that is something that I might need, most people that want a website want to have an admin and pass to make changes to text and pictures.

Does that license only cover one domain, or is there a multi-license package, were I could design a website lets say to two different customers and I could create each an admin for their one website using this cms?

I have a server that I make cpanels for people that want website, but the problem is the cpanel you cant work with the files unless you upload or know how to edit directly via html. I was thinking of running a php code and let customer upload picture to facebook and any update (new pic or new album) will automatically update in the website.

But again the cms seems better because it does text and images.

If he wants to update/change images, you could insert a simple snippet of code in a placeholder that pulls in pic1.jpg, pic2.jpg, pic3.jpg, etc. You client would upload a new picture called pic1.jpg and the page would change, showing the new version of the image.

Lets say pic1.jpg is 400x600 pixels of a motorcycle today. Tomorrow a new pic1.jpg is uploaded to the server via FTP replacing the pic1.jpg already there. Now the page resolves with a 400x600 image of a roadster.
    Xara is not opened or edited but the page is updated.
    Would not work for adding content of course.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

I use Cushy CMS for a few of my clients sites. Not Web Designer sites but I daresay it could be integrated with a placeholder.

http://www.cushycms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi King View Post
    I use Cushy CMS for a few of my clients sites. Not Web Designer sites but I daresay it could be integrated with a placeholder.

http://www.cushycms.com
    Hi, this thread has been a great a read. Thanks.

I had never heard of cushy and have now signed up. Can anyone clarify what I actually do in Xara to make it work. I read that I need to insert: class="cushycms" I inserted this in the 'Replace with HTML code ' area of the placeholder but it doesn't seem to work, is there something else I need to key in here to make it happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Darren

You need to have the following on the page where you want the cushycms generated content to appear:

<div class="cushycms" title="Main Content">

</div>

Again, sorry but I'm not really up to speed with WD placeholders, but I do know that you have to add the aforementioned code, upload the page to the web, THEN create the page on the Cushy site.

Maybe somebody has tried it with WD and can confirm or add to the above.

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried adding the <div class="cushycms" title="Main Content">

</div>

in the placeholder, but it doesn't appear in Cushy when I try to edit, it just says no editable elements defined. I must be doing it wrong, anyone any ideas?

If I wanted to have more than one editable box on the page how do I define each one?