Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Jaggie or edges that are not smooth

I am new to this program and I am making line art. I exported the line art I created as a 300dpi png and checked the edges in Photoshop. There are some edges that are not smooth.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...b/efd7100f.jpg

For the type of work I am creating these line arts for the jaggies are unacceptable. Is there a setting or tip/trick to getting a smoother line?

Default Re: Jaggie or edges that are not smooth

make sure you have the quality setting on maximum - 'very high quality' - there is a set view quality slider on the toolbar at the top, which should be maximum [far right] for this
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

and make sure you export at colour depth 'true colour' or 'true colour + alpha'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Also, what size is the drawing (as far as Xara itself is concerned)? That's going to have an effect on your output. It's all well and fine to export at 300 dpi, but if the original .xar file page size is set to 2in by 3in, that's not going to give you very good results.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Welcome to TalkGraphics

If you want smooth lines, then why not export your image as vectors and not a bitmap. PDF is a good scalable vector format. .ai, .eps, .svg are other vector formats. Vector images scale up or down without any loss of sharpness or image quality.

You have not stated how you want to use the image. Are you printing these commercially or having your images published? The intended output is import in determining how to save your image.

The attached shows a portion of the red area in your drawing at 2000% zoom and in Full Color (no anti-aliasing) and you can see the intermediate pixels that have been created to smooth the lines. If you turn off the anti-aliasing, then your image will be really pixelated.

Depending upon how you intend to use the image, and if you have to use a bitmap image instead of a vector image, then try the High Quality setting (Window > Quality...) and then try the Very High Quality setting.

If you image is for the web, then I have to say that what you posted (and you can post your images here in this forum) looks fine to me and I suggest you are being too critical. If your image is for print, then export at at least 300dpi. Good printing, such as seen in high quality catalogs, can work with a resolution of 600dpi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pixels.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	83448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pixels2.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	83449