Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: The controversial eraser tool

I rather think the idea is to use a pen and tablet touch buttons / touch screen configurable for shortcuts - and do away with the poor old mouse

added advantage you can use touch buttons/screen whilst still holding the pen [difficult with a mouse] - so unless you need modifier keys you can do it all one handed....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Just download DrawPlus starter edition for FREE - I'm pretty sure* it has an eraser. It also has connectors, a warp mesh tool that can make some very difficult blends which can't easily be replicated in Xtreme, a knife tool that works far more intuitively than adding and subtracting parts, and probably some other things I'm missing that we've asked for from Xara for a LONG TIME. (Oh yeah, a better brush tool according to some.) I probably won't be upgrading Xtreme again - it is falling behind, and missing the tools I want. Sad. I love Xtreme.

(* - I upgraded to the full X4 (not X5), and it has this stuff, and I remember these being in my original starter edition download.)

I'm only replying to this thread as a user - not an expert (as you all know from helping me) but as an end user. I bought Xara because of the cost - it was cost effective for me - I couldn't afford the more expensive apps like Illustrator, or I would have bought it instead. The point is that Xara IS loosing customers (who can afford the higher priced apps) because of the lack of these tools. As a user I DON'T WANT TO LEARN A COMPLICATED WORK AROUND! Period. I use Xara daily and YES, an eraser WOULD BE NICE!!! You can call me lazy or inexperienced, but the bottom line is I am a typical end-user that bought Xara because of its affordability. Xara Programmers and Project Managers take note - it's all about the bottom line and the number of copies of Xara that can be sold to potential customers. If you adamantly refuse to add in an eraser because of a strict sense of "We aren't a bitmap program" then you do yourselves and your customers a disservice. Just my 2-cents worth. I REALLY would like to see an eraser tool!!!
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it is ?
    Steve I do think it should be obvious to anyone. If an existing feature has no code to respond to an eraser it would never change it's behaviour meaning nothing would erase, screen refresh would simply redraw the original.

An object (any object) would need to have code to tell it how to respond when an eraser is applied.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ah well, we all find amusement where we can Bill - I think it amusing [and sometimes slightly sad] that so many seem to think that only ever using one program is a good thing, if not a holy grail, and that it's a given vector is better than raster... but there you go

Steve I have many graphics applications. I even use them when needed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Post #102 and #103 say plenty for me.

Content aware erase was mentioned. I've used it. I could have used PhotoShop to do what I wanted but I used Xara to do it.
    The feature was in Xara and that was my tool of choice.
    It's not how often, it's when.
    Then when the 'when' arrives, what are you going to use?
    So, since the introduction of Content aware erase, I've not really had a reason to open PhotoShop.

I'm not speaking for the professionals here. They will probably have a different view!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

HI Bill

ok must dash - but before I go it I'll just say that I was under the impression that somewhere in memory is held the current state of the drawing at any given time and what is required is a new tool to integrate with that just like any other

now I see complications with live effects and mold and any other 'overlay' entities, but editing them now isn't straight forward

editing lines and shapes with a new tool does not strike me as complicated in the sense, but then no pro coder me

[and the amuse bit was not directed at you Bill I know you have dozens of the darn things.., just taking the idea for a sideways stroll..]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Steve,

The memory area that holds the current state of the drawing is used to display on screen. To actually update that you will need to actually interact with an object or objects. A line, shape, group, etc. are objects which exist as code which contains the data and the executable instructions that define how the object can by modified. An executable instruction must exist for each tool that can create or change any property of an object.

To over simplify things, any object that can be created within a Xara app would need to have code added to it's creation method to build executable code segment that would recognise an eraser and what can and cannot be done to the object. The object would then update it's representation in screen memory which displays the current state.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Okay, this thread tells me that Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7 has no NORMAL eraser tool? Can I have a refund? Sheesh. I'm no pro at this kind of stuff but I think EVERY photo editing or graphic designing stuff has to HAVE an eraser tool. T___T So disappointed. I mean, it's just one tool. Why can't they put it? Even if they're saying that this is a vector software, they must have at least one of these basic tools.

you bought it without taking advantage of the 30day free trial?

if it's that important a tool to you you would have noticed straight away when trying it out - right?

everyone should try it out first.. only common sense really
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Bill

thanks for the info.. nothing is ever simple in this life is it [except some users maybe.... ]
    Nothing lasts forever...