Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: A community project

I'm sure that Kaleidoscope should have a 'Health Warning' attached to it?!!!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    I'm sure that Kaleidoscope should have a 'Health Warning' attached to it?!!!
    How so? Did it make you dizzy?

I have to admit though that I'm not that displeased with my solution to the problem and Guy's submission was great!
    But Paul did what I had been trying to do from the start.
    Last edited by wizard509; 30 August 2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yes, Paul's version is so good it's trippy.

If I were guessing the main element of Paul's strategy, it would be using a clipping mask via Clip View. I am curious. I hope he explains...

See... your perseverance via Paul paid off.

Peace

James

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    How so? Did it make you dizzy?
    This is the second time a TG member has caused me serious injury.
    I now have two bumps on my head.
    Whilst looking at that mind bending object, I obviously fainted and banged my head against my monitor. Again!

Oh well. Two lumps are better than one.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Oops sorry Rik. Just don't get Mr.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	83868 involved.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

James it appears you were rigtht. See this thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ramic-TV/page3 for Pauls explanation. Thank you Paul
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Rik you are on the verge of getting a nickname, I just don't know what yet. Maybe something like lumpy or knothead. I'll think on that for awhile.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

This is the last one I did, I haven't tried Paul's method yet. I sort of like this one except for when it opens to a black rectangle before repeating.

k2.swf
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Well Wizard509, I could have just posted the kaleidoscope sample here. I put together a sample using shape shifters file with the tractor image. I basically used the same technique that I described in the panoramic TV thread. I added an additional rotating shape and a little transparency to get this effect. Based on what I am seeing, I think this is what you're looking for. You still need to come up with the shape that contains artwork from all the participants. This shape is just made up of the original sample tractor image. This is just a quick sample, but you can tweak it to suit your needs.

I hope this helps,

Paul

Where will this be posted when it is complete?

kaleidoscope.swf

Hello Larry,

I guessed right based on my comment from message #27, "Are there active layer masks that can exist for each layer? It seems this would be necessary in order to make it work."

Based on thinking that it was the ONLY way to make it work, I felt it had to be ClipView.

Kudos to Paul for taking the time to make it work and achieve something "artworthy".

One note... In a real kaleidoscope, there is some radial movement (since the bottom is being turned). In Paul's example, with the images coming from the outside, straight to the center, it doesn't quite look right. I think that because of this, Paul came up with the latest version, which adds some radial element by spinning the overlaying shape. I think that if you take the basic ClipView idea and instead of making the animated sections go straight, but also have some rotational element, you will pretty much exactly emulate that kaleidoscope that you were going for...

At any rate, it's all pretty cool. Take Xara and then try to take it further.

Great job, Larry, Paul, and all who worked on getting to the bottom of this!

Peace

James