Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: A community project

Hello Larry,

Re: "...if it can be done in Gimp"

It seems like there would be some way to take the basic elements of Mehdi's kaleidoscope and make it animated. On the other hand, I don't know of any plug-ins for Xara (Xara or 3rd party) that do any animating. It seems it would have to be written specifically. The "controlling" software that handles the I/O for the live effects seems like it is only coded for static images. This is likely a major hurdle to doing it through plug-ins.

In Gimp, this is accomplished with a script isn't it? The vector eraser idea was met with cold indifference, so I don't think I'll post any requests for a Symmetrical Tool, which seems like what you would need to do this easily.

If there were a way to mask off the shapes so that they were correct and then, perhaps with Live Copies, maybe something will work.

I admire your dedication in trying to make this work.

I'll try a few things (in Xara) and see if anything starts to resemble the effect I think you're going for...

Where there's a will, there's a way! (there's optimism)

Peace

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 05 August 2011 at 08:08 AM.

"In Gimp, this is accomplished with a script isn't it?"
    Yes

"where there's a will there"s a way"
    That's the philosophy I live by

Thanks James.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Well I've failed a couple more times. But I keep getting more ideas on how this might be accomposished. So far the only sorta success I had was with the circular transparencies but on something resembling a real kaleidoscome that just doesn't seem to be the answer. Maybe one of these days.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Well in keeping you informed as to my particular progress. Here is the latest sort of success using ShapeShifter's Kaleidoscope Pattern as the basis. I know it isn't there yet but it's closer. Hope you like it as far as it goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start 5.gif 
Views:	184 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	83483
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Very Nice Larry -Looks Like a Real one to me (can it be slowed down?) -Tom aka Hwy101
    Tom - Hwy101

Yes Tom, but it looks better this way. I may try it again soon (like tomorrow) using more frames and not moving each image quite so far each time. That should do it I think.This is still not what I am after but it is better, and so far the only almost working method I have come up with. Briefly what I did was make a mask and used the same one to slice the image 4 times, then copied the mask to the clipboard and copied the frame and move each image the required direction, then when that was done I pasted the mask back into place and cut off the parts that overlapped, for each image in that frame. Then copied again and repeated the process for each frame. When I knew the finished size I made a large square larger then frame 1 and one smaller then frame ? and cut it out of the larger square, allowing the viewer to only see the cleaned up version which in this case was the size of the final frame.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Hello Larry,

Still working on the idea. Now, am trying something with Opacity Masks...

In the meantime, (hopefully) for inspiration:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaleido04.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	83501
    Blender

Peace

James

That's great James. What ever you did it seems to work really well.
    Works much better than mine for sure.
    Could you provide a brief tutorial on what you did for the benefit of all interested, (that includes me)?
    So far you are the Master!

EDIT:Would it be possible to do that same thing with the photo provided or ShapeShifters kaleidoscope pattern made from the photo?

edit again: OK, James re-looking at your animation I see that it was done in Blender, so I guess you can't provide a tutorial on how you did it in Xara, not yet anyway.
    Last edited by wizard509; 11 August 2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: edit again
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

James, I was thinking that it might be better to do some abstract designs like you are doing rather than using a photo. That way you have more control over starting and stopping points to make it look ever changing. It is difficult to do the animation like I was doing and finding an ending place that doesn't make such an abrupt change as it starts over. I was working on mine trying to slow it down and found out that if I deleted certain frames the whole thing seems to be better in that way. I'm just about ready to start another one to see what I can do to use more frames and not move each piece so far in one go. I'm hoping that will smooth things out a little and slow it down at the same time. I'm getting more maybe not so bright ideas I'll just have to see what comes of that. I'm still sticking with 4 pieces for the moment. but it’s still going to be a multi frame animation.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Here is my latest. Back to using transparencies. At the moment this is the best I can do.
    I know I don't have a good starting and ending place and it looks like it rewinds but otherwise it seems ok (to me at least). What do you think?

Version unknown.swf
    Larry a.k.a wizard509