Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default A community project

I have been trying to make an animated kaleidoscope image with very little success so far (most have been dismal failures). So I was thinking maybe we could put our heads together and figure out how to do one using only Xara. The image below is a photo I took and stitched together then cropped in on it and using the photo tools enhansed it some. I hope it will be suitable.
    I was thinking we should use this as a common image and post our results and how we did it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tractor 2.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	83309

This is one of very limited success but not what I was looking for and only attaching it so you can see that I have been indeed working on the problem.

tractor flash kaleidoscope failure.swf

What I had tried to do was Making two circular shapes consisting if triangular shapes rotating in opposite directions on top of the photo, obviousely that didn't work very well.
    Last edited by wizard509; 02 August 2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: A community project

I gave it a go Larry. What do you think ?

kaleidoscoop tractor animatie.swf

What I did was a rather repetitive thing - I work with XDP7 and made 5 rings (2 circles - subtract shapes). I then made a clipview of the picture with each of these rings.
    In the page options (general tab) i set the angle constraint to 10. Select middle circle, middle ring and outer ring and make 36 copies turning clockwise. Select the other two rings and make 36 copies anticlockwise.
    Start an animation, make 37 frames with the picture on it.
    Then flip back and forth between design and animation : select the 5 visible rings and cut to clipboard, in animation paste in place. Next frame, same procedure until you exhausted all the frames and all the copies of the circles
    Set speed to 0.1 sec for the animation and 2 seconds for frame 1.
    Last edited by guyke; 03 August 2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Guy -

I love these tools

Well I'm not about to animated this, basically I sliced off a corner at 60 degrees and well, used it to create a kaleidoscope pattern,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaleidoscope Pattern.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	83319  

Pretty cool and great attempt Guy but still not what I'm looking for.

ShapeShifter beautiful kaleidoscope image. Thanks,
    May I take that image and work with it some?

This is my latest failure. I didn't take it far enough though and it jumps badly. This isn't what I'm looking for either.

anim 4 not smooth.swf

This had 3 layers with a circular transparency. I made a bitmap copies of each so xara flash wouldn't complain and rotated the top two opposite to each other. The bottom layer which is causing the most obvious jump I didn't rotate enough times was the entire image rotated the same direction as the top fan shape filled image.

Here are some real good ones. They were all done by fence post using gimp.

http://fence-post.deviantart.com/art...ombo-147803977

http://www.gimpdome.com/scripts-n-pl...em39olk2j4buq1

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...n-AoqjsQLfjrkx
    Last edited by wizard509; 03 August 2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: links to good kaleidoscope animations.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I am watching this thread with interest but must admit that I'm not really sure what kind of thing you are after. I had a quick browse yesterday and found the exact same sites as those you have posted.

I need a better understanding of what exactly a kaleidoscope effect is, I'll research it.

Does it mean something has to 'rotate' to get the effect or do things kinda swirl in and out from different angles?

Can the effect be acheived by keeping the image static but using over-layers of different shapes/transparrency to create the illusion?
    “When everybody thinks alike, Everyone is likely to be wrong”
    http://antonybrook.co.uk/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Antspants View Post
    I am watching this thread with interest but must admit that I'm not really sure what kind of thing you are after. I had a quick browse yesterday and found the exact same sites as those you have posted.

I need a better understanding of what exactly a kaleidoscope effect is, I'll research it.

Does it mean something has to 'rotate' to get the effect or do things kinda swirl in and out from different angles?

Can the effect be acheived by keeping the image static but using over-layers of different shapes/transparrency to create the illusion?
    Something like those done by fence post is what I'm after. Like what you would see when looking through a real kaleidoscope. I have been trying to do that gimp tutorial to see how that would look, but, I can't get it to work. I always get an error. How we go about this I don't know, that's why I have posted my failures and why this is a community project to see if all of us that are interested could get close to the effect shown in the url's I posted. I could post some of the animations I found but I don't want to get in trouble for doing that. I guess I'll go to the source and ask for permission. Stay tuned.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Larry.

I'd love to have a go, if I knew what to do and how to set about doing it?!

So, some brief instructions (a small easy tutorial) would help me and might even get others to have a go.
    If no-one else does, I certainly will, if I can understand what to do!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I tried to join a gimp forum so I could contact fence post but I couldn't seem to register (I must be a numbnode!)

Anyway in the process I found this information which seems to be in the public domain.

http://gimpgallery.net/en/node/345

Mon, 05/19/2008 - 22:32 — AteMyCrayons

I cut a triangle image from one of my personal photographs. The triangle shape was mirrored both horizontally and vertically to create a starting image for my kaleidoscope. A total of 20 layers were used, each layer a different perspective of the original kaleidoscope.
    This is an animated gif but I can't get it to animate here. Maybe it's too large a file size and it probably is, so open the url to see the animation so you know what the ultimate goal is. Meanwhile I'll keep at it. This sounds kind of like my first attempt which didn't work but being an animated gif it should be doable in Xara.

Attachment 83336

Name:	kal anim.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	83337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kal permission.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	83335  

Larry a.k.a wizard509

Larry,

Mehdi has a free plugin that runs in Xara.

Rich

Name:	TR.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	83338  

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    ShapeShifter beautiful kaleidoscope image. Thanks,
    May I take that image and work with it some?
    Of course, you can even have the .xar

Mehdi has a free plugin that runs in Xara.
    Rather more satisfying to try this yourself though, isn't it?
    Attached Files Attached Files