Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D cup or glass

Default Re: 3D cup or glass

Hi Coleen, my post from June 2008 in this thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...477#post263477 contains a .xar attachment showing how I made a 3D cup using the Extrude Tool.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

the xar.

although the best result you get with a real dedicated 3D program ofcourse.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Thank you both very much. This is what I've come up with so far. Still working on it. Thanks again for all of the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffeemug.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	83322  
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Sorry Larry, I guess I need to edit my profile to show what Xara software I'm using. I do plan on upgrading to Xara Design Pro 7, but am currently using Xara P&GD6 right now. I can create the vector in that and use the 3D tool to extrude it. I know the 3D tool is a lot more limited, but the basics are the same -aren't they? I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on 3D effects and really want to be able to do this. Guy - I could use a photo and simulate the effect - but honestly it's not the look I'm trying for. I am just learning some of this stuff, and know I have a long way to go, but I really want to learn how to do this.
    Yes Coleen the basics are the same.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hello Coleen,

Your coffee cup is progressing nicely.

One thing you might want to "fix" right away is that, since there is no inside cup showing above the coffee, it appears that the cup is one drop from overflowing...

I decided to make (from scratch) a personalized coffee cup using Xara and Blender. Here is what I came up with...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ColeenCoffee.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	83339

View Full-resolution Version

Take care,

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 03 August 2011 at 08:50 PM.

James- I absolutely LOVE it! Thanks! I worked on mine a little bit yesterday (haven't yet today) I'm going to try for a multi-colored mug next, but James, that is really awesome - and you even spelled my name correctly! Wow - Thanks! I'll post what I come up with tomorrow. Hey - good news, got the go ahead from the hubby to update to the Xara Designer Pro 7! Fun - now I get to learn even more great stuff! Thanks so much guys!
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Hello Coleen,

Thank you very much. I am very glad you liked it. You are welcome!

Re: Designer Pro 7

You will love it. Just the auto-snapping and magic eraser add a lot to an already awesome program. Enjoy!

Peace

James

I fully agree with Coleen, James. That is an awsome image. Looking at the foam in the cups are you sure it's coffee and not cola or root bear?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks, Larry

Glad you like it!

The texture for the coffee was from a photograph. (What's this "root bear" that you speak of?) You reminded me of a very pleasant childhood memory of going to the A & W Drive-in for very delicious burgers.... never really cared much for root beer though.

I did this (in Blender) the same way that I would likely do it in Xara. Take a texture, lay it down in perspective and then use it as a bitmap fill on an ellipse.

If I hadn't been lazy, I would have modified the texture of the coffee so that they didn't look exactly alike. Still, it is obvious that I am just showing examples of the coffee cup, so let it go as is. (I probably should have at least rotated the texture to make it less obvious that they're duplicates...)

May I offer you your own cup? (though I have a feeling you probably like your coffee black)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LarrysCup.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	83387

Thanks again

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 05 August 2011 at 11:20 AM.

Very nice James. You keep amazing me with the things you can do with Blender.

I had a brief look at it a while ago but found it too complex to start working with it. Maybe I should give it another try.
    Guy -

I love these tools