Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D cup or glass

Default 3D cup or glass

I've been looking all over for a little help on this. I would like to make a 3D cup. I have my shape, but am having a bit of trouble with the extrusion of the handle. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to make a 3D style cup or glass? I really want to learn how to do this on my own, so I'd really like tutorials if possible. Thanks!
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Default Re: 3D cup or glass

Hi Coleen,
    While I cannot offer you a tutorial on how, I think you may need to make two seperate shapes. the cup and the handle and fit the two together. I'm fairly certain this can be done in Xara 3D Maker 7 but the shapes will have to be made in some vector program such as XDP7. I cannot tell from your profile what Xara software you have but you could make the entire thing in say XDP7, or an earlier version fairly easily.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Personaly I'd rather simulate the 3-d effect with a drawing, like this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cappucino.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	83312

but that's just my feeling.
    Guy -

I love these tools

Thanks for the responses. Sorry Larry, I guess I need to edit my profile to show what Xara software I'm using. I do plan on upgrading to Xara Design Pro 7, but am currently using Xara P&GD6 right now. I can create the vector in that and use the 3D tool to extrude it. I know the 3D tool is a lot more limited, but the basics are the same -aren't they? I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos on 3D effects and really want to be able to do this. Guy - I could use a photo and simulate the effect - but honestly it's not the look I'm trying for. I am just learning some of this stuff, and know I have a long way to go, but I really want to learn how to do this.
    Coleen

In Xtreme pro 5 with extrudes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koffie.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	83314  
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Very nice Ankor - that is more what I'm looking for. Any advice/instructions on how to do that? Thanks!
    Coleen

Coleen, I made one for my homepage, on the bottom right:

http://davepetraglia.com/

I just couldn't get what I wanted with the Extrusion tool, so I did something I RARELY ever do anymore, I...yes, it's true, I used (another) traditional 3D modeling program(!) I wanted to 'curve' my website name into the cup. Made a cup. Made a handle. Made my name. Curved it. Stuck 'em together, rotated it and played with the lighting. But I can assure you, (just about) everything else on my site is XARA, all the way. and that would be just another old graphics designer's cup if it wasn't for the XWD website behind it jazzing it up.

Coleen, have you thought about trying one of the Free 3D Programs? Autodesk123D or Blender... While not Xara, they are fun to explore as see what can be done. Tom aka Hwy101
    Tom - Hwy101

Now that is what I'm talking about! I'm not looking to do the same exact effect with the raised text on the cup, but yeah, that is really what I'm looking for! Did you do the cup in Xara? I'm working on one, but it's very amateurish in comparison! Love the look - thanks. Any advice?
    Coleen

Swift 3D. Though the coffee ripples were Live Effects in Xara.