Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sandra

Great revision Maya!! For being "just a painter" you have great artistic skills ;-)

May I ask what is your basic technique for a portrait? I tend to get a basic shape for the head, then draw the eyes in detail. Then I will work outward from the eyes adding details as I go.

Beautiful portrait of a beautiful young lady.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

It sounds like we approach drawing portraits about the same! I first outline the shape of the face--pretty close to what it really needs to be, I then start on eye placement and do a general shaped outline. I add a nose shape and lips basic shapes. I outline the shape of where the hair will be and general color---each shape is given a medium to light color of what it will eventually become. I then go back to work on the eyes---if these don't come out right I would start over, they are pretty critical. Placement and size and shapes of nose and lips are probably equally critical...each one of these can ruin the outcome if you don't get a close likeness. After that the rest is smooth sailing. Shading, for me is easy because I am a painter and have been practically all my life--brushes and airbrush work--so that part is last and the least taxing. The shapes of the features is the tricky part and no amount of shading will fix major flaws. I know you understand what I mean! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I have no "tricks" for portraits, I only used 3 blends in her hair--the rest of the portrait was all transparencies and layers.
    Thanks again for your reply, Soquili!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

How the hell did you get her done so fast??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Goddess, girlfriend, she looks good enough to lick [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

No really, beautiful work Maya. I'm inspired.

Something about the jaw bothers me, like it is narrowed a bit too much right where the hair is falling over it, but everything else is perfect. Wonderful hair, wonderful eyes, wonderful lips. Just wonderful!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

You got 5 stars from me honey!!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Maya,

of all people here, your picture means the most to me !!

Just because Sandra ist my all time favourite oh-my-god-I-just-love-her girl.

And one day she will find out about me and we will be happy together from this day forth ... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Stunning picture of my love, you are not 'just a painter', you are A painter !!!

Wolfgang

Sandra is mine!!!

Ah, dream on. She's young enough to be my granddaughter.

Nice work Maya. I recognized the likeness immediately.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Gary,

you are right with one thing: she's young enough to be your granddaughter probably [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. Well, not exactly granddaughter, daughter would do as well.

BUT: She's old enough to be my wife (she's one year younger than me) AND she speaks german. If that ain't fate ...

I'll send you an invitation when the day comes ... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Wolfgang

It's not every day that a beauty makes a gay man pant and if she had to get married, then, well hopefully you are a good looking guy and the both of you together would make a good looking brood of little Wolfgangs and Sandra's [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Aint day dreaming fun?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Maya, I think you picked the right subject, eh?? Sandra's got more fans than I think she even knows about [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I would love to see the image you worked from.

I do my portraits pretty much the same as you, though I like to do the basic hair shape before I position the eyes.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

WOW, she's got fans here alright!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks for all the kind words!!! I worked from several photos so this image is not exactly like any one of them...tried to be careful about that, and didn't want to get something to look exactly like a photo!!! Although, that might have been ok for practice, but then I couldn't have posted it here...so in that respect, it's best it isn't "perfect". This was close enough I felt to be a good likeness. If I had the real "Sandra" to work from it would have been easier. All the photos make her look different in each one--coloring, hair, facial angles, it gets mind-boggling without the actual person to see. I did what I could with what I could scrounge up. This is a first try at portraiture in XaraX and a learning one, but the next will be easier--and with portraits practice really counts, and I'm out of practice with the subject, actually, as I usually don't do portraits of people, the last time I really did one seriously was almost 20 yrs. ago!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] It's been a while!
    Well, I'll let you guys fight it out over Sandra [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ...I've got tons of things I have to do this weekend, but I'll check back if anyone wants replies. Thanks so much, RAMWolff, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] for the stars too!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I had the real "Sandra" to work from it would have been easier. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh!
    I have to second that, oh how I'd love to have the real Sandra to work from ...

RAMWolff: You are herewith officially invited. Just because you won't try to take her away from me (like Gary would).

And to anybody who is not yet addicted to her: Buy or rent the DVD to 'Miss Congeniality' and listen to the directors/producers comment throughout the movie. The producer is none other than my beloved Sandra and I tell you, this is even funnier than the movie itself ...

Wolfgang