Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandra

Hybrid View

First try at a portrait in XaraX...
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandrab4a.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	18945  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks so much guys!!! Ross, I couldn't have gotten this far without you, Gary, and the others here. Your helpfulness and teaching is reflected in everything I design with Xara.

Wolfgang, you know, Ross has a mighty fine idea there...just think of the website you could create, and who knows--wouldn't that be wild if she contacted you about it!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Hey, funnier things have happened and it's truly a "small world" as they say. At the very least, you could enjoy creating the website and be involved with Sandra to your heart's content (almost! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). Why not!?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

You've captured the eyes perfectly. I don't see the jaw thing others are refering to. Sandra does have strong features.

Wolfgang - In all seriousness, perhaps you should develop a Sandra fan website. You have the skills (and luv) to do it better than anyone else. Make it so good that it will in time come to the attention of Sandra and give you the opportunity to perhaps meet her in the future. (For instance: Once you have a great site perhaps she'd agree to your interviewing her. Once she gets to know you, marriage will be inevitable).

I once read a story about a fan who created a awesome site about the Beastie Boys (white rap group). The band was so impressed with the site they hired the guy to tour with them and chronicle their lives on tour. It is a fans' fairy tale come true.

Wolfgang, channel you Sandra-luv into a nice creative project. It will give you an excuse to think about her all day long as well as your slumber dreams. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

First try at a portrait in XaraX...
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

... Maya, excellent portrait! Yep recognised her straight off.

The eyes are beautifully done and the hair looks great. You mention you only used 3 blends, could you perhaps enlarge on the technique, I would be interested in how you did this.

You also mention that you work on something then go back to figure things out, yes I do that too. I find that when getting really involved in a picture, such as one which needs to be 'just right' like a portrait, I can often 'stop seeing it', and so cannot tell what needs to be changed or what is wrong. I look at it and think this or that is not quite right but I'm not sure exactly what to change.

One technique I used to use when doing 'hard copy' artwork was to look at the drawing in a mirror. For some reason, I suppose because the drawing is reversed, the brain can then often discern better anything that is not quite right; because it is so used to seeing the image that a new 'angle' or view seems to click the right buttons.

Actually with computer graphics I suppose it would be easier as an image could just be reversed, to see what it looks like. Although I haven't actually tried this as I have only just thought of it ... hmmm.

Brilliant work Maya.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

I added a bit of darkening to the area and revised the pic. Thanks for your kind compliments!!! I'm just a painter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] --nothing more!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Xara is fun to learn! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks again!!!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

WOW, she's got fans here alright!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks for all the kind words!!! I worked from several photos so this image is not exactly like any one of them...tried to be careful about that, and didn't want to get something to look exactly like a photo!!! Although, that might have been ok for practice, but then I couldn't have posted it here...so in that respect, it's best it isn't "perfect". This was close enough I felt to be a good likeness. If I had the real "Sandra" to work from it would have been easier. All the photos make her look different in each one--coloring, hair, facial angles, it gets mind-boggling without the actual person to see. I did what I could with what I could scrounge up. This is a first try at portraiture in XaraX and a learning one, but the next will be easier--and with portraits practice really counts, and I'm out of practice with the subject, actually, as I usually don't do portraits of people, the last time I really did one seriously was almost 20 yrs. ago!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] It's been a while!
    Well, I'll let you guys fight it out over Sandra [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ...I've got tons of things I have to do this weekend, but I'll check back if anyone wants replies. Thanks so much, RAMWolff, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] for the stars too!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain

I recognized her immediately myself. I've painted portraits, and find them to be the most difficult of all subjects, because anything that is off just a tiny bit, can ruin the likeness.

Great job!

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

You're awesome Maya! Great job, I recognized her the second I saw her, great subject. I've been to scared to ever attempt a portraite, but you've inspired me and I'll start studying it! awesome

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

X-L-nt Maya.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]