Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Yet another export/publishing query

Hi, I have now completed and published www.fuchsiaflower.co.uk Nothing fancy but I am happy with it. I chose to upload it using the ftp from the domain holder Strato. I found this much easier to upload any individual pages with changes to text.

Being a fuchsia growing web site there are lots of fuchsia pictures which I know are stored in the index_htm_files folder along with all the other graphics involved. Annoyingly these are changed to numbered files whereas whilst working on them in XWD7 they have their proper names i.e. the fuchsia called 'Aintree' is now 446.jpg.

Query - when I want to add more pictures do I have to upload the whole index_htm_files folder (which at present has 931 files) or can I search out the additions after exporting the whole web site to local disk, and then upload them individually to Strato, or do all the files get renumbered when exported after additions?

Or am i talking a load of compost?

Default Re: Yet another export/publishing query

Hi

I don't know the answer to the last question. But for me, life has really improved on discovering that you can force Xara to give images meaningful names. I found it here:
    http://board.xara-users.info/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=254

Good luck.

A

Thanks Artyboots

All the pictures are part of a slideshow so the first example seems to work fine. Just wished I'd asked this question before uploading.

Richy

Hi Artyboots

it didn't work after all. The pictures are part of a slideshow with thumbnails to be clicked on to start the slideshow, so there are two files of the same picture, giving a name to the thumbnail and then exporting resulted in it being changed to a number again. Also adding just one new picture the usual way ends up with it thrown into the middle of the index_htm_folder, so to speak, so everything after that is renumbered. That is a real pain. You would think that any additions would be tagged on the end.

That means uploading the whole folder again just for the sake af adding several pictures.

Thanks anyway
    Richy

If you export over the top of the last one you exported then the export process does try to leave the images numbered as they were to improve the program's built-in incremental upload feature.

Gerry