Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default my first website just gone live

Hi there,
    I would appreciate your feedback on this first website that I created.
    www.eaglet-eye.com

the added challenge for this site is that we have a first product under development but it is too early to publish anything about it at this moment. The goal of the site is to do a bit of branding, make a professional first impression and provide a way to contact us.
    cheers,
    papageno

Default Re: my first website just gone live

I like the site. However the format seems like it could be limiting as all your content has to fit into a small defined areas. But I like the way you repeat the page title under the banner. Did you use John Horn's tweak for that? John has one that automatically displays the page title on each page.

Thanks gwpriester. I should have started with a bigger webpage size from the begining. Is there a way to "stretch" a full website from 800x600 to say 1024x768?
    The source of the page is Designer Pro 6 template. In fact I'm not 100% sure where the template came from because I upgraded to 7 recently and it's not part of the version 7 templates. (I tried to find the original again but couldn't find it)

thanks for your pointers Antspants. All are quite relevant for the site i posted in a different thread in this forum.
    papageno

sorry I missed this. I'll respond to Your thread.

You can make the pages any bespoke size by using 'page options' then 'page', i've uploaded a jpeg to show.

Also if you wanted Your page contents to look more 'central' in the page you can simply make the page longer, make the background say 99.5% transparent then move everything down to where you want it. The transparency of the background will allow the 'plasterboard background' to 'wrap around the page.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page_size.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	83326
    “When everybody thinks alike, Everyone is likely to be wrong”
    http://antonybrook.co.uk/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by papageno View Post
    Is there a way to "stretch" a full website from 800x600 to say 1024x768?
    You can just drag the bottom edge or right edge of the page as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Antspants View Post
    The transparency of the background will allow the 'plasterboard background' to 'wrap around the page.
    That would be 'pasteboard'

thank you gentlemen! i will play around with it over the weekend. I had found the page options to increase the size, but when I then increased the size of the structure images (the top and bottom bars) the layout proportions were weird and some shapes messed up, so all of a sudden the site looked messy and I quickly undid everything.
    I definitely try the plasterboard/pasteboard idea! And I'll try again to increase the size but keep the current mood of the site

That would be 'pasteboard'
    LOL this extension to our house really has been going on too long............plasterboard, plasterboard everywhere

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01078.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	83358

Obviously being senile plays a part, but can I blame the stress of the extension just this once?
    “When everybody thinks alike, Everyone is likely to be wrong”
    http://antonybrook.co.uk/index.htm

papageno, a reasonable start, but I would look again at the copy content of the site and decide if it really suits your needs. Think hard about who your intended audience is and what you want to achieve, and what your intended audience wants. I have a strong feeling, for example, that the people who might do business with eaglet-eye don't need medical information about how eyes work, but are more interested in how doing business with the company can help them.

I know it's early days, but you will never ever see phrases such as "this site will be updated regularly" or "under construction" on a professional corporate site. The copy is quite dense and that tends to make me (and I'm sure others) just stop reading and leave. The best copy is concise and targeted - making the visitor want to work with the company. Focussed and precise is better than generalised.

At the moment the site tells me you do something with medical equipment for eyes and like Eagles, but little else.