Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy XPD 7.1.1.17261 - Cropping a clipped photo makes it uneditable?!

Is this buggy behaviour? I cant see why this fails...

1) Import a photo.
    2) Freehand draw a shape to surround an interesting part of the image.
    3) Intersect the two.
    4) Use the Photo tool to crop one edge of the Clipped Photo

Now I want to refine the clipping shape, so I switch to the Shape tool, but there are no longer any nodes to edit!

Switching to Wireframe shows that the clipping shape is still there, and the mouse pointer indicates that I can reshape the lines, but the behaviour is erratic to say the least!

I posted a video (~4MB) showing what I mean HERE

Default Re: XPD 7.1.1.17261 - Cropping a clipped photo makes it uneditable?!

don't crop it with the photo tool - use a shape to subtract the part you don't want - that should work I think...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Ampa View Post
    Now I want to refine the clipping shape, so I switch to the Shape tool, but there are no longer any nodes to edit!
    After step 4) select the shape and press CTRL+1
    Now you can edit the nodes

@handrawn - true... but the photo tool is so temptingly quick and accessible!

@ShapeShifter - Aha! Neat workaround. No idea why adding the shape to nothing should work, but it does!

Thanks both for the ideas.
    Last edited by Ampa; 30 July 2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks <slap wrists>

Not really a workaround, you're just making the shape/paths editable again.
    You can do the same thing to a quickshape instead of going to Edit>Convert to editable shape.

I often just press the toolbar icon for Add Shapes (I have the Arrange toolbar always open)

Use intersect shapes. The nodes are available, the image is hidden outside the bounds of the shape and when a node is moved that portion of the image previously hidden from view by the line is now shown.

Take care, Mike

Mike, yes the OP has already done this in step 3)
    What he wanted was to re-edit the shape (created in step 2)) after cropping one side of the previously intersected shape with the photo crop. This is done by returning the now clipped object to an editable shape via the 'add shapes' step I've mentioned.
    It's quicker and requires less steps than any other method.

In Xara, the (photo) crop tool is non-destructive because it uses a clipping mask. More accurately, it is a clipping tool which is why you can recover the rest of the image when moving the path.

Note to self: Stop Friday beer before responding to threads...<g>.

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Note to self: Stop Friday beer before responding to threads...<g>.

Thanks, Mike
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.