Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: search!

Default search!

After checking endlessly for any post/message/comment about in-site search option/widget for WD7 premium, I gave up and decided to register with the pros. So, I am here with the same question - is there a way to make/create/insert search in my website built (in progress) with XWD7P? I am talking search by area/price/age etc... (not search engine optimisation - it's seems to be talk of the town). I checked widgets and there was google search (?!!!) But again, I am talking in-site search engine?
    The only something someone mentioned somewhere, was that there's a way to write code for this feature and it had to be don by a web-programmer for $$$... la-la-la
    What about Xara Web Designer 7 premium???

thanx in advance.

Default Re: search!

I am talking search by area/price/age etc...
    Not without a database and some SQL (for example) programming. (which Xara doesn't do either)

Da-arn! Sounds serious. I hoped for something more like: "hey there's a widget, that can search by keywords!!!" So, in short, XWD7 is not good for the kind of website I was asking about. I know there are plugins/templates for Wordpress to make a search like that. I really like the simplicity and more Ar/creativity oriented Xara Shame! I was full of hopes. But I still wonder if anyone tried to do anything like this in WD6 or 7? (I remember 1st comment under the gallery of best WD websites - why none of them have search?! I had the same comment in my mind... still hoping to hear better news)

Quote Originally Posted by dmaniac View Post
    I know there are plugins/templates for Wordpress to make a search like that.
    Well, WordPress has an SQL database which can be queried by an internal search engine via PHP scripting, just like this forum has.
    Xara does not. It's not a HTM editor and neither does it write PHP code to connect to a database.

What you are asking for is a very specific feature. If indeed it is absolutely necessary to your site and if there is a programmer who can write the search specific script then why not bite the bullet and pay the programmer to write it? If it helps your business, then just do it.

I use Atomz http://www.atomz.com/ search for the Xara Xone which has grown quite large and unwieldy over the 15+ years I have been running it. Atomz search is unobtruisive, does not have a big logo on it, and can be customized to your site's color scheme. Once it goes through and indexes your site it is very quick. And you can search for several words. (Thanks SS for the lead to this).

The "Google custom search" widget can be configured to search a list of URLs so you can set it up to search just the site you put the widget on or even just certain specific pages in the site (e.g. for a product search).

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    What you are asking for is a very specific feature. If indeed it is absolutely necessary to your site and if there is a programmer who can write the search specific script then why not bite the bullet and pay the programmer to write it? If it helps your business, then just do it.

I use Atomz http://www.atomz.com/ search for the Xara Xone which has grown quite large and unwieldy over the 15+ years I have been running it. Atomz search is unobtruisive, does not have a big logo on it, and can be customized to your site's color scheme. Once it goes through and indexes your site it is very quick. And you can search for several words. (Thanks SS for the lead to this).
    Of course, there's an option for the $$$ plan B - to pay for it. I needed to know exactly how bad it was with Xara WD. Now i do. I will check Atomz site (thanx for the link) for sure. If they have what I need, why not?! Saying that, I must add, that Xara WD7 is a great product and I will be using it. Shame, cool non-pro softs like that, come with limitations quite often. Not many people need this option, so it's OK, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by GerryI View Post
    The "Google custom search" widget can be configured to search a list of URLs so you can set it up to search just the site you put the widget on or even just certain specific pages in the site (e.g. for a product search).

Gerry
    That...! I was hoping that someone might mention GOOGLE search widget. Have you tried it, GerryI? Is it something similar to Atomz? Has anyone tried it with local site search in mind? I have just checked Atomz. It seems to be a known search tool and it's free (with advert - sadly, I'd rather pay). So, does anyone have any thought on what GOOGLE can do! And BTW, I appreciate all the input, guys. Helps tons Much love.

This works quite well once your site has been indexed: http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/...e_search.shtml

You can see it working on my site here: http://www.actionitcs.com/

Thank you all!!!
    After reading your posts and searching through suggestions, I came up with an answer. I think one of the best solutions for a proper commercial search on your site (say, Xara designed one) lies in SEARCH TOOL or anything like that. I checked a few softs that do the job, and Zoom seems to be on top with newer soft. versions and options they give along. A lot of search customisation is offered and if you want to go BIG (up to 200 000 pages search!!! correct me if I am wrong), you can, for one $100 one time fee. I prefer this to ad based "FREE" (and not really free after all) software. So, there, success - case closed . Thanx again.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 30 July 2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Spam link removed