Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

posted November 03, 2002 08:18
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I found a model I'd done back in 1993 and the rendering engines weren't too cool back then.

So I lit, textured, and rendered it today in trueSpace. a lot of plug-in help from Photoshop, too.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saucer.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	16618  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Thnks for the welcome, guys.

As I'm new with 3d rendering, what good software can you recommend that can create the meshes of these ships and other 3d models?

Hi Vee, and welcome... hey do I sense a Star Trec rock band coming on here? haha... saw your pic over at Mark's place and thought it was wunndderfulll... right on.

I am a rookie to this 3d stuff myself, so I can't recommend any particular app... but I look forward to viewing your stuff when ya get settled in... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi gidge. Glad you liked it. I figured it's time to move on to 3d. I use Autocad but for architectural use.

How about Lura Lightwave, Alias Wavefront or 3dStudiomax? Can anyone point me which way to go?

vee

Hi DV8---

All the programs you mentioned are fairly common in the professional modeling world---include SoftImage here, too...they all have interfaces mere mortals can learn in a lifetime and are well-documented in both books and 3rd party Internet tutorials...and they all cost more money than God has. Although Lightwave is used by members here, and 3DS is steep but you can mortgage something to get it. I had very little experience with 3DS, and I dropped learning it when I discovered that there is no way you can model using splines or NURBs...everything is poly-based.

Cinema 4D, Rhino, and Wins 3D are mentioned quite a lot on this forum. Check out the "Free 3D" list.

Of course, there are terrain generators, too, and some members here use Bryce as a rendering environment...breaking the image synthesis process into 1.) An affordable (or free) modeling app, and then 2.) bringing the model into Bryce to texture, light, and then render.

My Best,
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Personally if I didnt use C4D and I could afford it I would buy Softimage XSI,3.But Vee bud grab a demo of Maya one of Lightwave,softimage,C4D,Max etc and see what you like,or what feels the easiset to you.But like Gary said it depends how much of the rolled up green stuff you can afford to let go for the program [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.

Thanks for the input.

I do have a bit to spare for a good apps ( shhh, don't tell wifey, stu). If the price is still out of range, a few more months won't hurt. I'm looking at long range, serious use so getting a good professional apps is my goal. Something that I can also use in my architectural work.

My concern now is what is the easiest to tackle among all these apps? I hope these are like autocad 2000.

I'm grabing a demo of Maya and 3dmax to see warp drive of these things.

vee

Gary, this is a fabulous pic. I don't exactly know why, but it makes me feel very happy. Perhaps some kind of "innocense" halo?

Bizarre... I posted this reply on the Space wip, and end up in this other thread...really the twilight zone!

Thanks for taking the time to look into 3D Canvas.Since this is the only 3D app I have tried I am curious as to how it compares to the programs you pros use.Thanks again.

Mike