Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just finished a new website

This is a website I barely finish.
    www.pineda-house-cleaning.com

Took me about 5 hours to finish.

Default Re: Just finished a new website

About the time to do a really good house cleaning.

It's all too busy for me. The text on the home page is rather fuzzy and there's loads more text than I really want to read.

It did strike me that a cleaning business using a silhouette of a woman clutching a mass of mops doesn't really promote a sense of equality amongst the sexes. I wouldn't use a silhouette of a woman unless you had one of a man as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It did strike me that a cleaning business using a silhouette of a woman clutching a mass of mops doesn't really promote a sense of equality amongst the sexes. I wouldn't use a silhouette of a woman unless you had one of a man as well.
    The owner of the business pick that image, he uses that for his invoices and wanted the website to match. I did the X-brushes logo for him thought, because he also does painting. He wanted the domain to be "pineda" but it was taken. He then wanted to use "pineda-house-cleaning-and-painting" but ended up with just stopping at cleaning.

Just finished updating the design

Compared to the original version, the updated one looks much better - more structured than the previous version and the color combinations are really an improvement, good work!

I have to say one thing in particular makes me smile every time I read it:

"Since 2003.. we have insurance". It makes me smile because it makes me think "So no insurance before 2003?"

You might like to look at that and then immediately to the left where you will find that "Guranteed" is no Guarantee of correct spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I have to say one thing in particular makes me smile every time I read it:

"Since 2003.. we have insurance". It makes me smile because it makes me think "So no insurance before 2003?"

You might like to look at that and then immediately to the left where you will find that "Guranteed" is no Guarantee of correct spelling!
    crap didn't Notice that it was about 2 am when I was doing that section it's a surprise the auto-spell check didn't show up.
    I should've been a bit more specific, I meant to put the business has been around since 2003 and that the business has insurance, will update this in a few, thanks for pointing this out.

OK, some more feedbck.

First page. Sometimes it's "We" then it goes to "I". It should all be we unless there a clear indication that the content is a comment by an individual (as you did on another page).

Your blue tabs have an artifact that is not present on the green one.

Cleaning.

"Initial cleans" (what is an initial clean?)

There are eight thumbnails and one big picture. On the left four thumbnails the instruction is "click thumbnail to enlarge". On the right the block of text says to hover.

When I hover, it looked like nothing happened until I realised the larger picture in the middle had changed.

I think that if you must use these thumbnails, they should all work the same way and all be the same size. One of them inparticluar looks clunky - where the cleaner is cleaning the oven door, because the image hasn't been cropped to have the same aspect ratio as those it's next to, making it look untidy.

Sometimes things have a grey border around them, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the border is in line with what's next to it, sometimes it's not quite right. Sometimes the grey border has a corner cropped, sometimes not. Sometimes shapes on the page have rounded corners, sometimes square, sometimes cropped corners.

Looking across pages, we have shapes with or without lined edges, shapes with or without shadows, 45degree shadows, all round shadows, etc.

Lets be honest, I've done a quick sweep to look for some niggles that few will comment on, but which I think matter. I can see that as you have built the site you have decided to try out differrent effects so none of the pages are quite the same.

When you have some time try and look up "grids" with respect to website design. It will help you get proportion and give an idea of why alignment is important to make things look just right. Your newspaper is a great example of grid systems for alignment. Without them, things can look a bit untidy.

You can ignore my comments and I'm sure your customer won't pick up on most (if any) of these items, but for the future try and make the site consistent between pages and nicely lined up. People's eyes (my eyes, certainly) tend to be drawn to what's not quite right.

I hope that's helpful.

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 01 August 2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: "pig" picture - LOL

Oh, what does a guitar have to do with anything on the contact page? Two award panels sat next to each other - differrent sizes - they don't look like comfortable neighbours.

One of those panels is also on every page, so it looks to me like someone is trying a bit too hard and almost trying to convince me they are certificates of merit, when they are not.

OK, nitpicking over.