Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cutting up an image

I have a jpg image that has a table of contents on it. I want to slice it horizontally by each topic (8 topics) so I can export the eight new images. Eventually I will be inserting the images into Word, and will hyperlink each topic slice to a page in the document. The Word document will then be converted to an eBook. So far I've only been able to slice the image by overlaying a rectangle on the TOC image and using; Combine shapes/subtract command or crop the original image 8 times. There must be a simpler way. Ideally I'd like to just cut the one image with 7 horizontal slices, so I can easily piece it back together in Word. I looked at the image slicing function but couldn't figure out how to have multiple names on one image. I have GD 7.

Default Re: Cutting up an image

I would create a series of rectangles the size you want the slices to be. Set the transparency for each rectangle to 97-98%, enough to make the rectangle almost completely transparency but selectable.

Select each rectangle and export using True Color for the Color Depth. You can name each slice accordingly.

Where do I set the True Color, the only place I can find the True Color selection is when I right click on the image and select Create bitmap copy... Then I lose the transparency property of the overlay.

Gary's talking about when you export the images. One of the options in the export dialog is color depth, and if you're exporting to PNG there's an option True Color With Alpha, which will preserve transparency.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com