Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Will an Adobe Illustrator AI5 1.3 0 EPS file import into Xara?

Hi everyone. EPS files are "iffy" when it comes to importing into Xara. I found the perfect image on Can Stock Photo, available as either a 300dpi JPG or as the above-noted Adobe EPS file. I'd much rather have the vector file. It's the same price and can be more easily manipulated if necessary.

The Support team at Can Stock gave me the info on which program created the image. Does anyone who has Xara PD6 know whether an EPS created with this particular version of Adobe is compatible with Xara?

TIA for any comments

Default Re: Will an Adobe Illustrator AI5 1.3 0 EPS file import into Xara?

Hello Advocate,

I have only ran into a couple AI files that I could not open using XDP6. I don't have XDP6 installed any longer and am using XDP7. I just downloaded a few and they opened wonderfully. I don't have access to my CS2 at the moment and so cannot generate that spec to give that version a specific try.

The success is more dependent on the method of design than anything. The couple I could not open successfully in XDP6 (they still opened, just were mangled somewhat) had a lot of clipping paths and embedded TIFFs.

Depending on what Can Stock means by the version number--they likely mean internal AI version--and how it is constructed, the odds are yes, XDP6 will open it. If not, one of us with AI can probably make sure you get a format you can use.

And speaking of that, UniConvertor, which is free, can likely convert to a PDF if nothing else.

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. All I know about the AI version is the designation Can Stock Photo gave to me, which probably came from the contributor of the image.

The image is nothing fancy; it's a simple drawing of a black raven. (I just like the way it has its head turned.) There probably are no clipping paths in it, and maybe that explains why I can import some EPS files and not others. The ones I can't import either give me an error message or I get a completely blank page. Very odd.

Anyway, I'm encouraged enough to download the file (tomorrow). If I run into trouble, I'll be asking for help. Thanks!

If you want to post a file here, one of us will be happy to confirm or deny that it will import OK.

I find that more and more PDF is the Lingua franca for file exchange between applications.

Maybe you can save a few dollars and use one of these free vector birds?

Edit: Attached is one sample from the linked site which was an .AI (CS3 though) and it opened fine in P&GD6
    I've saved it as .xar
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ShapeShifter; 25 July 2011 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks, GW & Shapeshifter.

That raven is really nice! I have already crafted the card design from a screenshot of the raven, to see how the card would look. The bird is posed in just the right way for the "atmosphere" of the card. Here's the link to the actual image which I'll be purchasing:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com/search....php?id=4423592

I'll buy the image tomorrow and see if it works. If not, I'm sure the good folks here at Talk Graphics will find a solution. Can Stock Photo also said they would help me if I had trouble importing.

I'm attaching the proposed image for the card back design. It's kind of goth, not my usual style, but I like it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raven-Back-96dpi.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	83112  

I know it's only $10 - but that silhouette would be quite straight forward to draw in Designer Pro 6.
    Have you tried?

If you cannot import the file, post it here and one of us who have Illustrator will pass it through and make you a XAR file.

But my guess is you will be able to import it.

Hi, ShapeShifter.

That image was created by the artist and is copyrighted, so I wouldn't feel right about not compensating her/him. Also, this card design will be on a deck for resale, and I need to buy the extended license, which is another $50. It's worth it to me, and the artist gets paid for her/his creativity

gw, you're right! I just imported it and it went smooth as silk. So now I know that more than likely, most vector files from Can Stock Photo will import. I always do my best to create my own drawings, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Can Stock has great prices on images and extended licenses, which is important on my slim budget.

Thanks, everyone