Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Copy/paste problem?

I just downloaded X3D-7 and since I had -6 I am familiar with the program.

The new program states you can import or cut/paste out of D-7 but, so far, the only thing I can cut/paste is text, nothing else. And I can not get it to import even something made in D-7's 3D program.

What am I doing wrong?

If possible, I would like to have a rotation graphic on top of a photo or graphic - can this be done with X3D-7?

Tks - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Copy/paste problem?

You can only cut and paste vector objects. If you import a group of objects only the shared outline of the group will paste.

You can have a bitmap for a background and have an object in front of the bitmap. If you want to have colors and features on the 3D shape this has to be done with a bitmap texture. Have a look at this Workbook page and then look at the rest of the Workbook as it deals entirely with Xara 3D Maker 7. http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...orkbook_3.html

Gary, went through your workbook - nice job, as usual - and still not sure I know how to put a rotating banner over a photo in D-7.

I made up a rotation banner, saved in several formats and imported them into D-7. When I go to preview, is it suppose to rotate or does it actually have to be put up on the web to do so?

Tks - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

If it does not rotate when you preview the page then it will not rotate when you publish.

You might be better off creating something similar in Designer 7 in a New Animation window. Set your bitmap as the background and then create your banner on top.

The attached animation is very basic but it may give you an idea of what I am suggesting.

The photo is on the first frame and set as background so it does not have to be part of every frame. The duration of the photo frame is 0 seconds.

The banner is a group of rectangle and text and has been named BANNER. Tweening objects have to be named.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tks, Gary - again!

That will work for me - I just want the text to rotate so I can leave the rectangle off.

When I preview yours in animation in D-7, it works but it does not work if I just go to preview in browser.

I have been playing with the animation and think I am getting there - took some time to figure out how to edit the text after one has extruded it. Sure seems like they could make it simple like editing any other text.

I am trying to duplicate a family web site I did years ago and had not make any changes in it for several years as well. Used an old Xara program for some of the graphics work and Micromedia and FrontPage to do the site. Has a rotating banner over a photo, opening page would fade in some text then go to the next page which would fade in some text and then go to the home page. Had slide shows and other goodies. A really nice site but both the Macromedia and Frontpage programs I used were on an older computer which is long gone and I can't find the disc for the programs.

One would think that by now Xara D-7 should be able to duplicate the site without a problem but it appears it is going to be a bear to do so.

Question, please - I can get the text to animate as I want now but how does one keep it on the screen? What I have are the words - "Welcome to BROWN POTTERS.com". I want the "Welcome" to face in and then stay there, then "to" and stay there and then the rest. So far, I can get them to fade in but they don't stay there as the next word comes up.

Take care - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Can you point to an example? It will help to see what you have in mind.

What I did was textured the background with a photo, made my graphic in XDP7 and copied and pasted into X3D7as text. Exported the animation as a gif and it works! Opens and animates in opera and IE at least. Hope this helps.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Tks, Larry - will try that.

And Gary, I have mixed two questions in this post - one was how to put a rotating banner on top of graphic or photo and the other had to do with fading in or scrolling in text.

I have found how to do the text part except I can not get the last frame to stay on the screen - posted about that in the Designer Web forum.

I wish I could send you to the web site I had done but the host has gone out of business and the files were left on an older computer that is long gone.

Tks, guys - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

zeb, is this something like what you are trying to do?
    The animations move at different speeds between opera and IE. I don't understand why though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 zeb.gif 
Views:	209 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	83107
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yes - this is just what I want. Now, how do I do it?

And since I want to use it on a web site, do I do it in D-7 or in X3D3-7? - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com