Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing from CorelDraw 12

Hi am moving over from CorelDraw 12 to Xara Designer pro but have lots of file I would like to import into Xara Designer.
    I have tried varios methods but cannot get it right - is it possible to import files & layers from CorelDraw 12 on Xara Designer?

Thanks

Default Re: Importing from CorelDraw 12

I have CorelDraw X4 and usually copy the objects to the clipboard in CD then Paste into Xara Designer Pro and select CMX from the popup dialog.

Saving from CD to cmx format and importing into Designer Pro has also worked.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Just curious...are your plans to continue working on the particular files, or just to convert to XDP? Be advised that while XDP can import CD files, some features are not compatible. Therefore, I would still keep CorelDRAW installed. Then, import only the necessary files as needed and deal with any (if any) incompatibility then. With such large hard drives on today's computers, I continue to keep all my older software installed alongside new upgrades too even though I rarely (or may be never) use them, just in those cases where I need to work with an old file. Enjoy using Xara Designer Pro! I think you will find it powerful and easy to use.
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist

I think Mike's advise is good. That is workflow I like to follow when possible.

One thing to be aware of when importing Artistic text from CorelDRAW, some justification (center or right-align) is not translated properly and is brought in a left-justified relative to the text's anchor point in CorelDRAW (where you clicked in CD when you created the text). So what I usually do in CDraw is select the text, convert to left-justified, re-position, and then export the file. Then in Xara select the text and apply the appropriate justification. I assume that you are proficient in CorelDRAW so it would probably be quicker for you to use CDraw's tools to re-position the text rather than Xara's (this is what I have found, at least in all PRE-Pro7 versions of Xara; Pro7's new alignment functions may change this, however.)

Thanks, I would have liked to be able to stop using CorelDraw all together as Xara is better for me overall but does not look possible unless I re-write all the files. Wish I had Xara a long time ago.