Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: XDP7.1.1 - Convert to editable shapes on context menu, where's it gone!

A couple points. Once the blend occurs, it is a group of objects. Even when ungrouped, it won't be there either--because they are already editable shapes. The star will no longer be a quick shape, for instance, so picking the star and electing to alter the inner join will only affect that single node instead of all node distance from center.

Take care, Mike

Default Re: XDP7.1.1 - Convert to editable shapes on context menu, where's it gone!

I stopped relying on keyboard shortcuts and right click menus years ago. They seem to change without any rhyme or reason.

The Arrange menu has not changed over the years so I always know where to find the icons I want. Convert to Editable Shape is there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	convert-to-editable.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	83147  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Talking Re: XDP7.1.1 - Convert to editable shapes on context menu, where's it gone!

@mwenz: Thanks for the reply. So how would I go about 'ungrouping' the blend? If I try to Ungroup then Xara tells me, correctly IMHO, that there are no groups selected.

The only method I know is Convert to Editable Shapes, so I can't see any reason not to include this on the context menu (for Blends) since it is a valid and useful operation.

This thread probably makes me seem like some kind of obsessive who is looking for nits to pick! Really what I am feeling is that as new features have been introduced to the Xara products the user interface has lost some of its consistency. The fact that I can't right click > convert to editable shapes on a Blend, where I can on a Contour (which to the end user is a very similar sort of object) is one indication of this.

Don't get me wrong: I love the new features, I love the product over all, but perhaps what I have always loved the most is the streamlined interface, and I worry that it is showing a few cracks as a result of the new innovations.

Here is another illustration of my larger point: In the file attached I have various objects - I shall use the Selection Tool and double click on each...

Object | Location of double click | Result
    Contour | Central rectangle | Selects the source rectangle, switches to the Rectangle Tool
    Contour | Outer contour area | Selects the contour, switches to Contour Tool
    Bevel | Central oval | Selects the source oval, switches to the Oval Tool
    Bevel | Outer Bevel | Selects the bevel, switches to the Bevel Tool

This is ideal behaviour: it is quick, convenient and intuitive.

Blend | Star (start of blend) | Error sound! Blend selected, remains on Selection Tool | A
    Blend | Square (end of blend) | Error sound! Blend selected, remains on Selection Tool | B
    Blend | Central blend area | Error sound! Blend selected, remains on Selection Tool | C

This is inconsistent and not helpful: I would have expected A to have selected the Star with the Quickshapes Tool, B to have selected the square with the Rectangle Tool and C to have selected the blend with the Blend tool.

(Yikes - that turned into a longer post than I intended!)

Inconsistent User Interface.xar

Oops. I missed a step in the hasty reply.

One does need to convert the blend to editable shapes, then ungroup. This is an inconcsitency because as you write, the convert to editable shapes command is *not* on the context menu.

I suggest sending a bug report to Xara.

Take care, Mike