Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question XDP7.1.1 - Convert to editable shapes on context menu, where's it gone!

Convert to Editable Shapes no longer appears on my right click / context menu in XDP 7.1.1.17621

Not sure when it disappeared... 7, 7.1, 7.1.1

Should it be there? Is it me? Can I get it back?

[I know I can use the Arrange Menu, or Ctrl+Shift+S but am simply used to right-clicking!]

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ampa; 20 July 2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Corrected version number

Default Re: XDP7.1.1 - Convert to editable shapes on context menu, where's it gone!

The option is still there on my system. I do not know of a way to remove or add any built in options.

Do you have an object selected when you use the right click pop-up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xdp7-convert2edit.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	83034  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: XDP7.1.1 - Convert to editable shapes on context menu, where's it gone!

Thanks for the confirmation that it SHOULD be there.

I noticed an odd thing... although I know that I downloaded the latest update the version number in the About box still showed the previous version.

I tried a reinstall of the latest download, but it only offered Uninstall - so I concluded that the program thought it was up-to-date.

I decided to Uninstall, and then Reinstall.

Tada - both issues seem fixed - version number is correct, and Convert to Editable shapes is back on the context menu!

Thanks again.

Hmm... still not 100% happy with this...

I don't get the context menu option to Convert to Editable Shapes everywhere I might expect it. For example, right clicking on a Photo doesn't have the choice, although it is a perfectly valid request, and is accessible via the main menu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContextMenuBitmap.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	83072

The question isn't why the context menu doesn't show it, but why the selection in the Arrange menu isn't disabled. I don't think that operation on a photo can/does anything.

take care, Mike

From the help file:

Convert to Editable Shapes (Arrange control bar Ctrl+Shift+S)
    Convert predefined objects such as rectangles, ellipses, and text into shapes, i.e. Designer Pro no longer sees them as rectangles, ellipses or text but as a collection of straight and curved lines.

Take care, Mike

Hmm... Yes I get your point - a bitmap doesn't need converting to editable shape as it already is one! Don't know why I'm getting in such a twist with this!

I always use Ctrl+Shift+S to convert to an object to editable shapes, I wouldn't notice if it disappeared from a menu. Now if the keyboard shortcut went way, that's a different story.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

@Ampa.
    Context menus (the right-click popups) are 'context sensitive' of course and will display the available actions depending on the object type.
    Draw any quickshape, rectangle or ellipse and then try the right-click. You should see the Convert to editable shapes now.

@ShapeShifter
    Sure, I get the concept, but in some instances I get the feeling that the option is missing from the context menu where it really ought to be available...

Today's example: There is no context menu "Convert to Editable Shapes" on blends.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blend Context Menu.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	83146