Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to use PNG with transparency as "photo frame" for bitmap in Xtreme Pro 5?

Hi,

Can you please help me to find out how to use PNG with transparency as "photo frame" for bitmap (photo) in Xara Xtreme Pro v5?

I'm try to design pages for photo book in Xtreme. I have set of files in PNG format as "frames" for photos. For example, I attach one (14_v.png) to this message. In another editor I can use them as "masks" for photos - in second attach (capture.png) you can see on left - usual photo, on right - photo with mask as photo frame.
    How I can make same effect in Xara Xtreme? I try to use different modes, substract/add shapes and other - but no luck. Can anybody help me with advice, how to make it?

Sorry if this question already asked - I try to use search, but can't find answer.

Thanks for ahead and sorry for poor English.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14_v.png 
Views:	4937 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	83041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	83042  

Default Re: How to use PNG with transparency as "photo frame" for bitmap in Xtreme Pro 5?

the way I would do it is to draw a round cornered rectangle the size of the inner boundary of your frame

place this behind the photo and with both selected apply clipview - this will clip your photo to the size of the rectangle with the advantage that you can tweak its position within the shape

all you need do then is place the rectangle in position behind the frame
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: How to use PNG with transparency as "photo frame" for bitmap in Xtreme Pro 5?

Welcome to TalkGraphics Yuri

Select the frame image bitmap.

In the Live Effects Tool > New> Select Mehdi > Eraser Classic.

Use the settings I have used. This makes the white transparent.

Add a photo and send the photo to the back (Ctrl B).

I added a Wall Shadow to the frame.

Name:	Eraser Classic.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	83044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	83045  

Hi Gary.

Can I ask why you need to use anything to make the frame's white part transparent?
    The original frame (as far as I can see) the white part is already transparent.

Have I missed something?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo border.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	83047

Here I've used the original frame, without any changes.
    Well, I've added a shadow like yours, of course!

I think Yuri might be asking how he can make a photo fit the inner part of the frame. If I read his post correctly.
    Then, if I have read this correctly, then I think Steve has answered that.

But, I am assuming that I have read the original post correctly. I can't say that I understand it perfectly, which might be my fault.

Name:	photo frame.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	83046  
    Last edited by Rik; 20 July 2011 at 10:54 PM.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

its already transparent Gary - at least the image I downloaded was....

and if it were not mehdi will take out the white inside the frame itself so the photo would show through the holes assuming those were white, they were certainly transparent in the example, otherwise good method yes

[I suppose it might not matter about the photo being visible through the holes..]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Rik

we cross posted

if the photo will resize to fit the frame without showing through the holes fine, but that did not look the case in the example given?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Guys,

Thank you for such fast replies!

First of all, thanks to Steve - I think his method will be best.

Sorry for some unclear parts in my post, let me explain. In my photo book design this frames I can use like "masks" - I just take a frame and drop it (or apply) on photo - and receive result as photo on right on first post. I suppose what I can make same in Xara Xtreme. But I don't think what all image is transparent - even behind the frame or holes in the frame. Now I'm sure what photo book software have additional info at each frame, what parts are transparent for photo, what not. So, it's impossible to just "apply" PNG file in Xara Xtreme.

But method suggested by Steve will work good, thank you!

glad to help
    Nothing lasts forever...

I didn't quite understand if the original software applied the image without reguard to position. For the frame used, a rounded rectangle would work fine. I would use an image fill instead of a clip view. Then the image positoion could be adjusted in situ. Also, minor size adjustments. Then changing the image is just using another image for the fill. You wouldn't have to clip and unclip to make a change. A PNG frame might be able to be used as an image mask. Of course, it wooould depend on the frame. Many of my frames have irregular shapes requiring irregular objects for the image while not extending beyond the frame.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by molucca View Post
    Then changing the image is just using another image for the fill. You wouldn't have to clip and unclip to make a change. Rich
    Rich, also the image inside a clipview can be changed by putting another image on it and dragging it around.
    Guy -

I love these tools