Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bug : Exporting pdf in DP7

Having produced a monthly 32-page magazine using Xara Designer Pro 7 I have been unable to export it as a pdf file for internet distribution. Having come up the an address exception error the 'Export' option on the drop-down menu then becomes non-operable. The same file was successfully exported with DP6.
    As I say, I've had no problems with many issues of the magazine produced and exported with DP6. The advantages of DP7 to me do not seem to have been worth the expense and all I seem to have got is an additional problem.

Default Re: Bug : Exporting pdf in DP7

I'll see if I can get someone from Xara to comment on this problem, Ian.

It sounds like you have a document that exports fine in DP6 but crashes during export in DP7. We would certainly want to fix this regression so you will need to either post your document here or open a support ticket at support.xara.com and upload it there for us to take a look at.

Thanks,
    Gerry

The error was reported automatically to Xara twice on separate occasions. The problem was experienced on different computers.

Ian, Gerry's point is that without the, or a, document that displays this regression, they have little to go on. Yes, the error report will contain memory addresses, module information and the like. But if they change the code without an actual document that exhibits the regression how will they know they changed the code properly?

Mike

Further to this, the sending of the crash report to Xara simply sends the crash information file to our FTP server. There is no way for us to tell which crash dump file on the server is yours without you also submitting a ticket to support.xara.com that includes the crash dump identifier and preferably, the document you were working on and as much detail as possible about your system and what you were doing when the crash happened.

Serious regressions such as this are treated extremely seriously at Xara. Once a bug has been entered into the system (which requires reasonable detail about the problem) it is very likely that it will be marked as extremely urgent and will be allocated to a developer and investigated immediately, taking precedence over any existing work the developer has scheduled (except for other similarly serious bugs).

So, if you have a document that you can export from DP6 but simply loading it into DP7 and exporting gives a crash then please submit a ticket at support.xara.com with the file and the crash report number and it will be investigated.

Thanks,
    Gerry

I have now opened a ticket successfully at support.xara.com but have been unable to upload the file, perhaps due to its large size? I'll await further developments.

Ian,

If Xara.com cannot accept a large enough file, you can use a place like yousendit.com to upload it and email them the link to it.

Take care, Mike

I've just experienced the exact same issue. Exporting a .pdf for a file out of DP7 crashes and then greys out the the export option in the file menu - until Xara DP7 is re-started. It doesn't want to export properly.

I had to use DP6 for the export.

Unfortunately, I can't submit the file, as it's a clients IP. The only "unusual" effects used are live copies, and 4 Chinese characters copied and pasted out of Outlook email - pasted as rich text.

I must say that I've been disappointed with the .pdf exports from Xara so far. Sorry to say, but I just don't feel like I can trust them.

I hope this can get tracked down and dealt with ASAP.
    e

Even IP issues can be dealt with if the file(s) go to an individual and are not for public consumption.

No different than sending files to a printer, eh?

I would be happy to look at the file.

Mike