Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Inconsistent UNDO Behaviour

Has anything changed in DP7 with regards to undo? I can't find anything in the documentation but it now seems that each individual nudge is stored as a separate undo operation, where previously nudging something multiple times in a row was seen as a single operation. But it seems inconsistent - sometimes it works the old way and at other times the new way. Does anyone know what is going on?

For the record, I love the old way and I really hate the new way, as nudging is pretty much how I move everything around on screen and undoing can take forever when it only undoes one nudge at a time.

Note to Moderators: I accidentally posted this in the wrong fora, so if you want to delete one, delete the other one.

Default Re: Inconsistent UNDO Behaviour

Long time no see. I deleted your duplicate thread.

I have noticed the same thing, and yes it seems inconsistent, and YES I preferred the old way that as long as you were moving something around, one undo returned the object to the starting point.

One possible reason for this is whenever a new feature is introduced, it can frequently effect the behavior of other features. The new feature in this case is the snap to guides. If you drag an object, a red dashed outline rectangle appears marking the original position. This is useful if you want to drag an object to a new location and remember where it was you set off from. But it might well be this new feature that has somehow disabled or effected the Undo operation for a nudged object.

The snap stuff is brilliant, I've loved it since Corel put it into Draw a while back, although I've hardly used Corel for many years. I'm over the moon something similar has found it's way into Xara. It never occurred to me that they may have broken the undo things along the way, I assumed it was a conscious effort that wasn't done properly. It's also encouraging that someone else noticed, I thought I might be imagining things. Hopefully it is something they can restore in an update or the next version. In the meantime the new snap tools do go a long way to eliminating the need to nudge, which I only ever use to keep things properly aligned. I just need to get in the habit of using it more.

BTW, I don't visit here much because I find this place to be way over-moderated and when I complain about it I just get hammered by the Moderators, who take criticism way too personally. I don't find this place conducive to useful discussion at all, so I only visit when I need something. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    ...I find this place to be way over-moderated and when I complain about it I just get hammered by the Moderators, who take criticism way too personally...
    Lurking, it is much better than it used to be in this regard. My hat is off to Gary, who, as far as I have seen, has never over-moderated a thread. Perhaps you will reach the same opinion if you visit more often. Hope they fix your undo issue - sounds annoying, but I can't comment, having only 4.0.

David

Unlike on the synapse forum where he's the one not holding back, now complaining when the shoe is on the other foot. (been tempted to say this for a while now lol)

Sup Bones, been a while since i last visited that music forum, i'll drop in there in a minute!!