Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Adding a 'log in' area

I'm a newbie to the program and have the download trial at the moment. On my site, one area will require a 'log in' for users to log into their own area. Does the program accommodate being able to do that?

I'll also have to change, and/or add, content regularly in certain areas - am I able to do that when the site is on the internet, as in a 'dynamic' site? Thanks.

Default Re: Adding a 'log in' area

Welcome to TalkGraphics

You can use a product such as Coffee Cup Software's Website Access Manager to password protect areas of your site. This works externally and is not something done in Xara. Basically, you publish the site then specify which areas you want to password protect in Website Access Manager. It works quite well and I have used it for one of the sites I manage.

Web Designer 7 and Designer 7 let you publish only your recent changes. So if you change a few dates or add a new photo, only those changes are published as opposed to publishing the entire site each time.

Is the $34 worth it for that software? I'm thinking of making a member only website has well for my computer customers.

yes all done simply at the touch of a button change passwords globally give customers a unique login and or expiry date ( if they have paid for say a years acccess) access for a single domain e.g large company all the same login, endless number of sites scriptable, unlimited users ,use the unique generated passwords or make up your own.... u just need to make sure the server u use is apache based for coffee cup to work but dont take my word for it (nor garys) download the free 30 day trial and play i jumped ship from windows to apache never looked back

Scruffy

Thanks for the replies. Oh dear, think I might have to call in the help of a friend who writes websites, my knowledge of html is very basic. I can play, amend, add some simple things (as on my blogspot site), but haven't tried writing a complete section, don't know enough for that. Coffee Cup is ok software. I downloaded the trial version recently but it only allows the use of html in the trial version, you have to buy the program to get the visual part as well. I also play with Pagebreeze, its a free program and gives both html and visual. I have no idea what is necessary on my server to upload anything amended in Pagebreeze - I have apache handlers, MSQL, Fantastico, PHP Frontpage extensions, and Cloudflare (whatever that is), and I've no idea how to use any of them yet. lol.

Xara Web Designer isn't a HTML editor, so I'm not quite certain you speak of Web Designer when you said the trial only allows the use of HTML but not the visual part?

You can use HTML snippets/scripts in placeholders to add functions and elements, but basically Web Designer's function is as a graphical web design application which will generate (compliant) HTML when you export the site to your HDD for publishing to the web.

Certainly you can ask your friend to create a login script which you can embed into the design as mentioned, but a multiple user login which enables unique 'areas' on a per member basis is beyond what Web Designer is able to do. There is no facility for it to connect to sql data bases or can it be used to write PHP pages.