Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New Brain Bender: Line with Stroke & Fill

I have a new project that I am doing and I need a Line with a Stroke & Fill (with I am finding that Xara can not do) -then I need to bend the line to make 3 different arcs of a Circle.

Now, I have figured & done a work-around; but, I was surprised to find Xara could not do this

attached is a sample of the line that I need - Tom aka Hwy101

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line-PNG.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	580 Bytes 
ID:	82680
    Tom - Hwy101

Default Re: New Brain Bender: Line with Stroke & Fill

Draw a circle and give it a line width of your choosing.
    Convert the line to a shape.
    Give the resulting shape a new line colour and weight of your choosing.

A stroke is a line so you would fall into an infinite regress if lines (strokes) had strokes (lines) as attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwy101 View Post
    I have a new project that I am doing and I need a Line with a Stroke & Fill (with I am finding that Xara can not do) -then I need to bend the line to make 3 different arcs of a Circle.

Now, I have figured & done a work-around; but, I was surprised to find Xara could not do this

attached is a sample of the line that I need - Tom aka Hwy101

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line-PNG.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	580 Bytes 
ID:	82680
    I was going to say sure Xara can do that, but Sadler explained. I do this all the time. I create strokes, but then need to do some further work that cannot normally be done to lines, so I concert lines to shape. When I work on maps, I often create at a much larger scale than what the final output may be. If I keep lines as lines, when I shrink the total image, the lines stay at whatever size I originally set them so at the smaller size are too wide for my uses. So once I complete the design at larger scale, I always convert lines to shape, so when I rescale, so do the lines (because now they are shapes...)

Michael

@Michael - you can press the button to scale line widths
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale_line_width.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	82693  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

And if I ever upgrade past Xtreme Pro 4, I'll consider using that button, but for now, that button doesn't exist in XXP4, so I do it manually.

Michael

Ah ... right ... :-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Let me try (again) some of the things mentioned -but, I have converted the Line of a Circle to a Shape -and I while I could have a line of any size (width) that I wanted, I could NOT give it a 'different' Fill that the color of Line that was selected (I had to make two line one big for the stroke -and one littler for the Fill -then combined them to create the example -same for the project, Big Circle with big Line for the Stroke -no fill, -another circle with the fill color postion over the line -no fill, then combined the two to achieve the desired effect.) Let me see what I can do - I may need a step-by-step, I am not getting how, when converted to a shape, a line can have a 'different' Fill -I can not get that to work.
    Tom - Hwy101

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    And if I ever upgrade past Xtreme Pro 4, I'll consider using that button, but for now, that button doesn't exist in XXP4, so I do it manually.
    The Scale Line Widths button is in my Xtreme Pro 4. For that matter, it's in my Xtreme Pro 3, as well.

When you convert a line to a shape, it becomes an object. The object has a fill and an outline. It is like any other object. Being objects, they can be added together, etc.

Rich

Convert Line to shape -I may have it! (in best 'Rain in Spain' voice from the musical) - Thanks for the patience & sticking with me!
    Tom - Hwy101