Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default How crippled is the trial version?

I have wasted too much of my life already with trials that aren't really trials, or are trials of really awful software. I have VERY little patience for crippled demos that don't say how crippled they are. This so-called trial version seems to be one of them.

I've spent some time this evening exploring it. It is VERY aggravating to get to an area and be told that "this feature isn't available in the trial version." I am ready to dump this software as coming from a poisonously unfriendly company, but it looks like pretty good stuff, so I want to give it a chance.

Is there any information, anywhere, about the capabilities and limitations of the trial version? Is this company as unfriendly as it seems?

Default Re: How crippled is the trial version?

I am ready to dump this software as coming from a poisonously unfriendly company
    Wow, that's a tad harsh -- the software is fully functional. But you won't get the free templates and clip art until after you register (Xara developers have mouths to feed too ya'know ).
    You can build a fully functional web site using your own design skills without any templates what-so-ever. Nothing is crippled and nothing is watermarked.

Is this company as unfriendly as it seems?
    Absolutely not.
    Last edited by covoxer; 05 July 2011 at 06:37 AM.

lets hope it isn't only the company that isn't 'as unfriendly as it seems'

welcome to TG Lou
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Please excuse my testiness, but I think (and feel) that it's justified. There isn't a word (that I can find) about the fact that you can't use any of their templates, graphics, etc. in the "trial version." That's a bit odd, since the program's flexibility with its templates, graphics, etc. seems to be one if its main features, and is the subject of a great number of very nice online movies.

So they give you a trial version that doesn't allow you to sample their greatest features (which DO seem to be pretty good), and they don't even let you know. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Are most people trying to create websites only interested in templates?

Where is their originality, their ability to visualize and create from the vision?

The greatest features are not the templates, the Tools within the application that allow you to create without templates are the greatest features.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

It's like they give you a complimentary ticket to a play, but they don't tell you it doesn't include a seat. Then they promote the wonderful comfort of their seats, show you all the different upholstery styles, comfort mechanisms, etc.

Ithink the word 'preview' might give you a clue!!

Cool Re: How crippled is the trial version?

Hi Lou,

It seems maybe your comments have been taken a bit more strongly than intended. There really is no need for anyone to be having angry words about this. :

I've been using Xara since 2009, 3D6 first, then Webdesigner 5, Xara Xtreme Pro 5 which is the grandfather of today's pro version.

Your question is to clarity of the templates. When I first looked at the trial back in 2009, one of the things of interest to me were the templates. I downloaded the trial and read through the opening page/blurb and discovered there was a web template, just one that you could use to test the program with. I also discoved rather quickly really, that there were small samples of each of the other types of graphics/symbols to play with, enough to get a hang of the program.

Now, the reason I'm using 2009 as my example is that I have assumed that Xara has done the same thing with it's current versions. My interests in Xara have changed through the awesomeness (is that really a word) of it's abilities, not mine yet, and I have become more creative due to it's user friendliness and, not to be remiss, the user friendliness of this forum. Without this forum, I'm sure my progress would be very much indoubt as I glean ideas, learn skills and so forth here.

So to answer your question, since I've upgraded to the full version, I noticed that many files were replaced and, lo and behold, some of those were template files. If you look carefully, you'll see that you can actually play with enough of them that you can see how the program works. If you're building web pages, it's possible these templates will speed your work, they did mine and when I was finished, the pages didn't end up looking anything like the original templates....don't know if that's good or bad.

Anyway, I hope you have another good look at Xara, play with it as much as you can over the trial period and end up deciding to purchase it. It truly is an awesome program.
    It's possible some might think you're attacking Xara and the folks here. I don't think that's what you're doing, I think you're just a bit frustrated due to lack of enough time (I'm 61 so I understand that) and you're rushing through things too quickly to see all the facts.

Let these folks truly help you and check out the program, it is awesome.

Have a great day Lou,
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11