Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting CYMK...

Issues!!!

I am trying to export a logo in high res, pdf & jpeg and this is what comes out on the PDF... Am I missing something as I cannot use or print this?

Framework_AD_logo.xarAD_logo.pdf

Thanks

Default Re: Exporting CYMK...

What precisely is wrong with your design from your point of view?

Mike

OK. I opened your PDF in XDP. Only three real issues that I see and that depends on how this will be printed and the desired richness of the black.

One, if you are going to be using a traditional press, consider upping the line weight on the green elements. 0.19pt is perhaps a tad thin. Generally I try to make my line weights on smaller elements when going to a traditional 4-color press no less than 0.5pt as 0.5pt is thinner on their equipment than I can print locally to any of my PS printers.

Two, while the font embedded wonderfully in your PDF, for something as simple as this logo--which is very nice looking btw--I will often make a copy of the logo and convert the font to curves (shapes). This removes one possible gotcha at print.

Three, the black all elements except the outlines in the green elements is defined as 100% K. Depending once again in the print method, it will be less rich in color than you may desire. If you want to make the large areas of black richer, you will need to use a mix of CMY with the K component.

If you want to go to a two-color press, consider using a Pantone for the green and make the green elements' outline 100% k.

If you will be using a digital press, number one isn't as important as the resolution of such a device isn't like printing to a 4-color press at 150 lpi or greater. Same with number two, though it still isn't a bad idea.

For what it is worth, the color values for the green are identical in the PDF and XDP but without seeing the XAR file, I don't know if there was a shift at PDF creation. The green in the PDF (and in XDP after opening the PDF in it) is as per the screen shot.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Output Preview_2011-07-02_07-09-37.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	82614  

Thanks a lot Mike - It is a 4 color press in question, will consider the the line weight and apply as directed. Thanks for the confirmation of green color code as it does look diferrent on both, but you have confirmed it precisely so this puts my mind at rest.

Thanks again for the feedback on the logo :-)

You are most welcome.

Oh. Another thing. If you are going to be printing accompanying materials--envelopes, letterhead, etc.--consider dropping the outline altogether and either using a comparable Pantone color to make it a two-color print job or make sure to go digital printing for those materials. The reason for dropping the outline on the smaller sized versions is that it will not add anything and press registration becomes an issue. With digital printing it isn't much a consideration.

Take care, Mike