Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've decided to bite the bullet and learn to weave on Painter. This burbery check will be my first project. This is a rough mock up I'll post the weave when it's done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burbery.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	19415  

I've decided to bite the bullet and learn to weave on Painter. This burbery check will be my first project. This is a rough mock up I'll post the weave when it's done.

Well here it is...

Name:	Burbery.jpg 
Views:	985 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	17177  

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

That came out really good.

I've never played with the weaves. I just discovered that you can change the colors in a weave by applying a color set to it!

Yup, very nice weave job here Thelonious... would make a terrific texture for mapping out on a table cloth, kilt, blanket etc http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Judi, and Gidget

Actually there are two parts to weaving. There's the tieup which controls elaborate patterns. This is very complex and I'm not bothered to try to understand it. I have the missing painter pages and other tie up instructions as a zip file which some kind person sent me a while ago if you are interested. However one does not need to know about this at all to have fun making fabrics which gidget has rightly pointed out make great textures. In fact I applied the weave as a texture to a sphere.

If you open the edit weave box for any of the tartans you will see that it has a very simple tie up. It only uses four of the eight slots and if you join them up as a repeating pattern you will notice that what you have is a very simple twill weave.

So without knowing anything else about the tie up you can make any sort of tartan you can think of. That is more than enough for me. How it works is the letters represent colours. I'm using P6 so this may be different in later versions, but there is an option to assign letters to colours when making a colour set. The numbers represent how many strands of a particular colour there are.

The big number needs to be played around with. In fact some of the numbers painter uses in its own weaves are incorrect. If you fill a large area you will see that the pattern get slightly out of whack. Change the numbers from say 400 to 396 for example and you will see how it affects the pattern on a large scale. It's a matter of trial and error to get that bit right.

I'm not at my computer at the moment but if you want any more info I'll post it. Once I worked it out I went through a phase of looking for tartans in pictures and trying to make them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thelonious:
    I have the missing painter pages and other tie up instructions as a zip file which some kind person sent me a while ago if you are interested.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That info is from Painter Tech Notes.pdf, section #4. Corel has posted a Advanced Weaving file on their FTP servers; look in http://ftp.corel.com/Painter/6/ for the file Weaving.pdf.

Doug Frost

How doug,

I could never get that file do download. When I tried to ages ago. Does it work now? However the files I was referring to which were sent to me were some very heavy duty PDF's produced by the dept. of computer science, university of Arizona. It was written specifically for Painter. I reproduce some bits here. You can see the author's name so anyone interested may be able to obtain infomation direct from the university. I still have the original zip which was sent to me it's not very big, about 250k.

Name:	weaving.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	1638  

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thelonious:
    How doug,

I could never get that file do download. When I tried to ages ago. Does it work now?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Just click on the link and your browser will take you there, right-click on the Weaving.pdf file and save to disk. Workes fine. As you can see the file is about 260k.

http://ftp.corel.com/Painter/6/

Doug Frost

Hi!
    I worked for a weaver 20 some years ago, and even owned my own 8 harness loom for awhile. I just found the Painter Weave files online last night, and they are SO interesting from a weaver's POV. I'm as clueless now as when I first started actual weaving, but Virtual weaving is so intriguing, I can't wait to get up to speed!

It does not to do dwell on Dreams and forget to Live...