Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem with pop-up layer, embedded video & IE8

Just completing a site in which I included a pop-up layer on one page that contains an embedded video. I've tested in Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Opera and it works fine. In IE8, however, the video does not work. Anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix?

Default Re: Problem with pop-up layer, embedded video & IE8

I assume you mean when previewed and/or viewed on your computer before publishing to your host?
    IE local security prevents certain functions from working (you should see a yellow bar across the top of your page when opened in IE) -- upload your site then it should work fine.

Yes, I've always gotten the security warnings in IE8 when previewing, but once I click the Okay on the warnings everything usually works. Anyway, the site will probably go up over the weekend so I'll find out soon. I hope you're right, and thanks for the feedback.

Websites are uploaded. Not only is the embedded video not working, but now the animations I did in WD, which worked fine in testing, don't work at all. Dang! Any suggestions?

Just wandered into the same problem: flash embedded in a popup layer, works in Chrome, Opera and Firefox, but not in IE8. The layer won't even appear. Nothing happens. Tried it in IE6 and 7, no problem. Tried downsaving the animation in SWF7 & 6, thinking maybe it was the newer filters in SWF8, but no luck. No wonder people are dropping IE8 in droves.

Well at least I'm not alone. In my case, my pop-up layer appears, and the video frame appears complete with a big play-arrow, but nothing happens when you click it. I should add that the problems with the animations I mentioned above have now been cured. For whatever reason, I found that by going back into WD, opening the placeholder's HTML section, then re-saving it, seemed to fix whatever was wrong. It was if if just didn't save the swf file originally. Weird. Yes, I agree, IE8's share continues to drop but unfortunately it is still at about 25%.

I gave up and worked around it with an iFrame. Works fine now, but not elegant.