Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Bleed Size Problems

Hi All,

I'm just creating a Presentation folder with inside flap no gusset and have run into a small problem with bleed size. The document size is 523mmx396 as required with a 10mm bleed. When i export the document with Trim marks to show under print options and checked within the PDF export I don't see any trims on the final PDF, if i use a 3mm bleed the bleed marks show.

Any idea why i can't use a 10mm bleed?

I Have tried printing the file to an oversized PDF document size, selecting PDF crop marks in PDF output and setting the print crop mark in print options, everything under 8mm bleeds work, anything over and they don't show.
    Can someone download the sample file and have a look please.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JaffDave; 28 June 2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: more info added
    I ate my crayon.

Default Re: Bleed Size Problems

10 mm for a bleed is excessive from a print bureau point of view. I haven't tried using such a large bleed area, more what would be comparable to a 4-5 mm amount.

About your file.

What is the desired finished size--the size it will be trimmed to?
    What size is the white inner area to be and what is the size the outer rectangle to be?

The way the file is presently set up I cannot tell. I.e., the white inner is the same size as the page. Any crop marks would be hiding under the red rectangle.

I did add crop marks and print calibration stuff from within Acrobat. It uses the cropbox, page information etc., from within the PDF to locate them. I have attached a screen shot to show you how it is presently set up will not likely achieve what you desire.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	82550  

The white area in between the red trim is the final trimmed size. The outer red represents the 10mm bleed for visual identity. The trim lines should not be hidden under the red area as a normal colour bacground should always exceed to the outer bleed. If you use my file with a 5mm bleed it works ok and isn't hidden under the red

The problem is with Xara itself, bleeds hav a max value of 7.9mm or there abouts. I'll just add manual bleed lines as the die cut im working on is complex.

Thanks for looking.
    I ate my crayon.

I just looked and an 8 mm bleed shows up. Though I am mystified as to the need of such a bleed area. But it isn't my print job.

I have attached a PDF. If you absolutely need such a large bleed, use a PDF print driver. For this PDF, I pushed the page size out to accommodate the 10 mm/each side plus another 10 mm/each side to accommodate the marks and keep a large red rectangle.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: pdf 1.pdf (23.5 KB, 101 views)

Thanks Mike.

A 10mm bleed is required for the Project Folders i'm working on, don't know maybe the printer needs this to allow for die cut error margins. I used a PDF driver last night so i could set a custom size page output to get around the problem, appreciate the help you have posted.

Chhers
    I ate my crayon.

Ah, thanks for the info JaffDave!

One thing to perhaps inquire, though you have a solution. That is, when a printer tells me they want X amount of bleed, they either specify total bleed or bleed around cut lines. Usually it is simply expressed as X bleed. But that amount is typically halved. In other words, I have been asked for .25" bleed, but that is 1/8" past cut lines. Ont time I was asked for 1/2" on a box job which is actually 1/4" past the die cut. A box print is a pretty non-exact thing in comparison to folder stock. So your printer *may* be wanting 5 mm around the cut lines which equals 10 mm bleed.

Anyway, glad it is sorted.

Take care, Mike