Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Updated my website and logo

Created a new design layout and logo for my website using xara web designer 7 premium.

http://www.xaratemplate.com

Default Re: Updated my website and logo

amazing! you wouldn't mind giving us a few tips?
    First how did you get that slideshow in your home page? Flash?
    Second in your homepage how did you get that cloud with text to move in the page when you hover on top of the rectangle "traveling" "feedback" etc...

Your website is awesome I didnt know you could make something that amazing with xara, I just thought it was simple because of its premade designs.

Cool site! What size is this site? Tell us more how you made it!

Hi Raint567,

I have done a tutorial for you over the animated menu and clouds with text - Find it at this post,

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...webgallery....

Regards John

Yes I can give you some tips on how to accomplish some of the things I created. The slideshow on the homepage is not apart of Xara and requires additional software and some working knowledge of how information is stored in an html website. The Xara program is indeed simple but with a little CSS, HTML and Javascript knowledge you can do some amazing things. I wouldn't recommend using the built in designs for professional use, which is why I started developing Xara Template web designs.

Cloud Text:

In regards to the cloud effect if needed I can make a tutorial and post it on my website so you can always refer back to it. However it is really simple so I will try to explain it:

1.) you need to have the static object such as the "Traveling" or "feedback" button on mouse-off layer.
    2.) create an additional layer and add the the cloud where you want it to display that information. Note: where you position the cloud is where it will stop at.
    3.) on mouse-off layer select the "traveling" or "feedback" button or whatever button you decided to create and right click & go to web properties.
    4.) In the web properties select "mouse-over" tab & then select "show popup layer and select the button "effect" & you will many options to choose from for how you want the object to slide in. Once that is set it will slide the object in when you mouse-over button.

Tips: I'm not sure what kind of tips you are looking for but I will give you some advice.

1.) RESEARCH as much as possible on website building. I say this because although Xara can build great websites their is a lot more to a website than just cosmetics and submitting a site map.

2.) SEO: If you are going to build a website make sure it is optimized for the internet so that you get the right kind of visitors. For example if you were to type "buy xara templates" into google it would bring up my website. This is not by accident but by strategy because those are the kind of visitors I want.

3.) PRACTICE: Just like anything else in life you have to practice to get better so keep using the program until you get better. I've been using the program from the very first release so I am very familiar with it. I also am good at getting it to work right when you get program errors or glitches & trust me if your site gets large enough you will run into problems.

Thanks for the comment on my website I appreciate it also their is a free Xara Template download for personal and commercial use on my website if you want a good starting point that you can build off of or change to your liking: http://www.xaratemplate.com/xara-tem...e-download.htm

It's recommended that you have advance knowledge of css before re-sizing the free xara template brownshade background as it is hand coded. I plan to release some tutorial videos but haven't go to it yet. Hope this helps.... If you have additional questions just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by raint567 View Post
    Second in your homepage how did you get that cloud with text to move in the page when you hover on top of the rectangle "traveling" "feedback" etc...

Your website is awesome I didnt know you could make something that amazing with xara, I just thought it was simple because of its premade designs.
    Last edited by champ; 07 July 2011 at 11:35 PM.

How I made this website:

What size is it?

- Well the background was hand coded with CSS, which is why it re-sizes it self based on how you re-size browser window; so in theory it has multiple sizes. However their is a tweak available that lets you make full-width backgrounds I believe somewhere in this forum. I'm sure if you ask around for css full-width background someone can lead you to it. However I did mine by hand because you can change the colors of the background or re-size it if needed later, which is not possible with the tweak without distorting page unless you re-do the whole background over each time you want to change it. Also the tweak doesn't always align objects properly and can make it a little difficult to know where to place objects in proportion with background.

If you are familiar with CSS I can try to walk you through the steps of setting it up manually. Also if you hand code it you will need to come up with a strategy of how you will keep track of the different page sizes. I've already developed one that work's well for me but it will take some time for me to explain it to you and why it is necessary.

I'm hoping at some point I will be able to develop some basic videos to help others take advantage of some overlooked features of Xara Web Designer and long-term I hope to make some advance videos if time permits. I have some plans to take Xara to a whole new level and my website is just a snap shot of what I can really do.

Here are a few template examples I've created (you can also view them on my website http://www.xaratemplate.com/xara-tem...-templates.htm)

http://www.xaratemplate.com/xaratemp...-templates.htm

http://www.xaratemplate.com/xaratemp...-templates.htm

http://www.xaratemplate.com/xaratemp...web-design.htm

I have some new Xara Template designs I'm working on at the moment that will be even better than the one's I've shown you. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by raint567 View Post