Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Drag-and-Drop to Open File - PROBLEM

I agree with Mr Drawn that the TOSHIBA is the area of interest here. Did you install SP3 by the way?
    I have a Satellite Laptop myself but never have encountered this error, though it is running Vista and not XP. I do know from experience that TOSHIBA are preloaded with many 'Toshiba' utilities, a lot of them set to start with Windows. It's possible that something preloaded with the TOSHIBA factory settings is conflicting -- restoring will of course load all that stuff again. You might like to remove or at least disable those you never use or don't need (which is pretty much all of them), reboot and see if the problem disappears?
    Good luck.

Rik if I may make a suggestion. Buy a copy of Windows XP Professional (or newer) direct from Microsoft. Reformat the hard drive on the laptop and install from the Microsoft disc. Most computers (desktops and laptops) today come with a load of crap that makes the machine almost unusable. Hardware manufacturers like to modify Windows and not all of their changes are simply logo modifications.

Once you have a clean install without all the manufacturer's modifications and extras you can download and install drivers specific to your machine.

Personally I think all the complaints about Vista and 7 are actually hardware manufacturer modifications and nothing to do with the unadulterated OS.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Rik if I may make a suggestion. Buy a copy of Windows XP Professional (or newer) direct from Microsoft...
    Hi Bill.

I can't do exactly what you suggest because this is a company Laptop. But, there is no company security software on the Laptop that might be interfering with things.

However, last Christmas I had to do a complete re-install. The company would have simply loaded an image onto the Laptop but I did a reinstall. (This problem existed before the re-install and exists after).
    The hard drive was formatted and then the start-up discs (that come with the Laptop) were used to reinstall everything. So, Windows was loaded, then all the other software and various drivers were updated from the Toshiba web site.

So, to all intents and purposes, what you suggest was done.

Like others, I too think that it might be a driver problem but there are no updates for any drivers, for this Laptop on the Toshiba web site.

Laptop details:-
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
    RAM: 3 GB RAM
    GRAPHICS: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    (Graphics Driver date: 02/04/2008 - Driver version: 6.14.10.4943)

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Rik reinstalling from the manufacturer's original installation of the OS will simply put the same modified version of Windows on the laptop.

It is possible for anyone to make modifications to how the OS operates and original hardware manufacturers often make changes that are detrimental to how the system works. This is not simply drivers, but OS configuration.

Since the laptop is a company machine I understand you cannot make changes to improve how it works.

When I was a corporate IT person we would make a clean install on all new machines, make the changes we needed then lock it down. Unfortunately many companies/corporations do not take the time to do this, they simply use the OEM install with any imperfections.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update