Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Error upon saving

I was working on a file and if I tried to save this file, I kept getting this error:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	82461

I could save any other file that was open, but not the one I happened to be working on.

Eventually decided to shut down the file anyway and tried to open it again. It was just a blank page.

Fortunately, because of the 'auto-backup' feature (thank God, or should it be Xara!) I was able to recover almost 99.9% of the work and it wasn't a real problem in that sense.

But, just thought I would post the error here in case it proves to be useful to the developers.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Error upon saving

I really hate when this happens. But I don't hate is as much as I did in the days before the auto-backup.

For new users: should this happen to you and your file is empty when you try to re-open it, here's what to do.

Go to File > Open Recent > Backups...

Look for the most recent time stamp and open this file. If everything is OK, save this document and use it as the new document. With any luck you won't have lost too much work.

This error indicates that the document has not been saved because the program thinks that it is already in the process of saving the document. Did you have any earlier errors, particularly while saving? It sounds like the last save failed part way through (pretty early on if the file was empty) in such a way that the program didn't realise the save had "finished".

Gerry

Hi Gerry.

As far as I can remember, when I got the error that wasn't the first time I had tried to save the document. I say this because the document had a name, which means that I have normally done a bit of work in an un-named document. When I think I better save my work, I then give it a name.

I had now done quite a bit of work and upon getting the error, wondered what to do?

I didn't want to close down DP7, in case upon opening, I lost the whole document.

Decided to save and close the other documents to see if that helped.
    Then I was just left with the problem document.
    Tried to save a few times but always got the same error.
    Eventually decided to close DP7.

Upon starting DP7 again, I could not see the document in the 'Open recent' list.
    Whilst there is nothing you can do about it now, I was a bit annoyed to say the least!

Then I remembered that DP7 saves backups and got 99% of my work from there.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I think this very same 'Saving error' happened to me also, except that I could not save any document and I could not copy to clipboard from xara. Xara gave some error massage to that as well.
    Also Xara emptied (deleted) my named files from the current project folder. Luckily I was able to recover some work from the backup files.

This was my first experience with the latest version of Xara.
    I am afraid to use v.7 now so I stay with v.6 for some time.