Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Error trying to Open Web Designer Pro website into Designer Pro 7 program

I created a 22 page website in Web Designer 7 Premium. I have downloaded the Designer Pro 7 Trial because there are some features that interest me, however, when I try to open my website into Designer Pro, I get the following error "Failed to load. Some objects are not allowed in the current editing context. Please load as a separate document, and copy and paste into the desired position." I don't understand what this means.

I can load the same site that I had saved 11 days earlier without the changes that had been made during that time. The changes were primarily font and positioning changes, but they were made to 11 pages. Is there an easy way to load my current site, without have to load the old one and make all the changes again?

Thanks.

Default Re: Error trying to Open Web Designer Pro website into Designer Pro 7 program

I am not sure if this will help, but it often does. Close all programs. Right click on the Designer Pro 7 program icon and select Run as Administrator.

If this does not work, let us know and we will try to figure it out.

I have found that many times if I try to open a file created in a newer version with an older version I get a similar message but the file usually opens fine. Except if there are new features, these will not be implemented.

Default Re: Error trying to Open Web Designer Pro website into Designer Pro 7 program

Gary, thanks for responding. I tried what you suggested but nothing changed. I also re-booted the computer hoping that might help, but I am getting the same message.

Thanks for the link. It does help to know that a solution is in the works.

The error message (which I admit is not very helpful) means that the document contains combinations of objects that are not allowed and so, to prevent dangerous errors, V7 doesn't want to load it. Your doc must contain some dodgy structures which might make it unstable.

The problem in the thread cited above was fixed by fixing the hospitality theme and so it will not help with your document.

You can fix the problem if you're willing to edit the registry: You can disable the checks for disallowed object combinations by setting the value "Options\Filters\TestForIllegalNesting" to 0.

Alternatively, post your website here or send it to Xara support and we'll fix it and send it back to you.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the information. I can not imagine what I did to the site to make it so objectionable. The older version of that site was loading without problems, so if I decide to purchase D7 after the trial, I will just go in and make my changes again, since I was planning to tweak it anyway; I just thought there might be an easy fix. In the meantime, I have another website that I can load in D7 so I can try out the new features.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help.