Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: WD 7.04 Full-Justified Text Problem

Ok. I will admit I have not and likely will not build an actual web site in Xara.

But I do like to play. And I am not certain whether there is a difference in XDP versus WD.

I have attached a web file as exported from XDP7. I get the same results with the xar version. As one can see inside the file, there are two columns and they are linked. Both columns end up equal.

I think there are two issues:

(1) When viewed (F12), the righ-hand column extends lower.
    (2) The first paragraph in the right-hand column, while beginning in the last paragraph of the left-hand column, inherits the 12px first paragraph indent. The code also shows this.

So. Is there a means of linking text frames and avoid the two things above?

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Mwenz

If designing for the web use whole pixel units throughout. The only browser that will play up is Safari. And then only a little.

Drwyd

Edit:- I would also recommend even pixel sizes for the fonts. e.g. 12px 14px 16px (96px = 1 inch)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Drwyd; 19 June 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Ah, Drwyd, thanks for that.

I see that you are not using the "HTMLBlockText" on the two frames. This does avoid issue two I mentioned above because of the gif files (I suspect).

Take care, Mike

After working with this issue for a couple of weeks since my initial post, I have discovered that the problem only occurs when the following conditions exist:

• Text justification is set to FULL
    • A line ends with a period AND there are two spaces after the period before the next sentence begins (which, at least in the 80's when I took keyboarding in school, was the way to do things)
    • Text copied from Word, WordPerfect, etc is pasted via Ctrl-V and 'Unformatted Text' is selected to paste the text into the document

I have overcome the problem by ensuring that each sentence ends with a period and ONE space between the period and the start of the next sentence. When dealing with paragraph ends, I start at the period ending the paragraph and delete EVERYTHING up to, and including, the first letter of the new paragraph. I then re-type the period, add my new-line (or two if I have an empty line between paragraphs), tab to my indent tab stop, and type the first letter of the new paragraph. The other thing I do is copy from the source, be it Word, web browser, whatever, paste it into Notepad, then select it all from Notepad, copy, and paste into WD. Only then can I ensure that the problem does not appear for ANY browser (even Opera, which was being a total B*#CH!). My observation is that 95% of the time, the problem is the two spaces ending a sentence which also ends a line. The other 5% I have attributed to copying the material from a formatted source, then attempt to use the 'Paste as Unformatted Text' function in WD.

The problem resolved, with a couple of extra steps which are a PITA and which, IMHO, given all the awesome things WD7 can do, you'd think it could get something like this right. But, it is what it is, and at least I can move forward now with WD7. I was ready to hang myself from the tree out back if I had to go back to 'Microsoft Frustration Web'.

very useful thread. I've had exactly the same issues, but only with DP7 - specifically opening DP6 websites in DP7 and then exporting to find text formatting problems like this.