Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Exclamation WD 7.04 Full-Justified Text Problem

When text alignment is set to full justified, text gets "scrambled" in places (see attachments). Occurs in all browsers, though less often in IE, Safari, and Chrome and most often in FF and Opera. Seems to be something happening at the end of paragraphs but can affect several words before or after the paragraph breaks.

I can usually delete all space from end of one paragraph (plus last character, then re-type) to start of next (including first character) and then replace the characters, the return and the indent, and the problem will clear, but at times it will not and currently have one or two pages I cannot get FF and Opera to play nice with. The only option I have is to go back to regular justification, which fixes the issue.

The only problem with the solution is that it's a newspaper site and client wants full justification of the text. Text is usually copied from Word file, then pasted back into WD7 as unformatted text. Problem still occurs if text is copied from Notepad AND if text is deleted and typed in rather than pasted.

I need to know how to fix this as soon as possible as it is very much a problem.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara text problem 1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	82415 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara text problem 2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	82416

Default Re: WD 7.04 Full-Justified Text Problem

I can't repeat the problem here unfortunately.
    Try selecting the text area then right click it and go to 'Names'
    Enter 'HTMLBlockText' (without quotes) and then Add. See if this helps?

That DOES fix the overrunning, but introduces other formatting problems. It reduces the paragraph indenting to almost nothing and a couple of lines don't extend and align to the right edge of the column as they should.

At any rate, I can see a problem having to do this with every block of text to prevent the problem (even if it HAD worked). What happens when I have text, or a block of text, that I need to referenced via link or menu? Then I have a collision that puts me right back to square one.

The closest I have come to correcting the problem (without changing justification) is going back to a sans-serif font (Verdana) from Times New Roman, and it improves the situation in everything but Opera. Nothing else I have tried has worked at all.

THIS type of problem is why people consider WD a product only for non-professionals. Dealing with the effects of this problem alone has taken me WAY over my deadline! It happens on every lousy page and nobody seems to know why!

Fully justified type only works with proper ratio of font point size to column width, not sure WD and browsers can get this right. Better for print. Do you have to make it fully justified? This is mostly used by newspapers and they are experts in getting it right. You can't align flush left?

Tom

This is the first software of any type that I have used that offers the capability and it didn't work correctly. I find it silly for it to even be there if there is an issue as to whether or not a web browser can pull it off.

This site IS for a newspaper, and they prefer the full justification, as do I, as it reduces the amount of whitespace at the end of lines.

With all the amazing things this software can do, I am surprised this function can't be made to work properly. I am so tired of not being able to attain an established, stable format due this thing and that thing that WD cannot do. Seems that I am running head-long into each of the few things that it CAN'T do.

I am noticing the same here with IE9 which I just installed last week.

I am not sure if this was an issue with IE8.
    Works well with Chrome. If look great.
    Works well with IE7.
    Last edited by jclements; 19 June 2011 at 01:58 AM.