Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How do I make my two sided postcard spin? (NOOB)

You are entitled to your opinion pauland. I probably just have a different way of looking at things, maybe not the right way just different.

As James says "Peace"
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

The OP has not been back to the forums since the initial post was made. Does not look like anyone's advice was seen, obviously not commented upon by the OP.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello

Re: "Larry, I actually feel a bit guilty about taking such a strong stance."

Thank you that you said that...your stock just went up.

Re: "The OP has not been back to the forums since the initial post was made..."

No, but there have been over four dozen views of various files related with this post, so even if the original poster never came back, it would be an exaggeration to say that no one might have gained from the discussion anyways. I have certainly benefited from advice/info given in threads that I actually had nothing to do with, post-wise.

Re: Spinning graphics

We all (okay, pretty much all) see them as passe, however the fact that someone comes along quite often and asks about them or how to do them shows that there is some demand for them. I think that I would bet money that taking logos or text and making it spin is one of the things that is most often done with Xara 3D, sad as that sounds. In some ways, buying or downloading the trial of Xara 3D and making something spin is a rite of passage.

To quote Larry, quoting me, Peace

James

I think web design (including spinning logos) could do with a bit of psychological analysis by the researchers.

Generally I think web sites mostly fail by people focussing on what their company sells, rather than building empathy with their client and focussing on what the company does for the client. In that vein, spinning and sliding stuff is often more about the website designer "showing off" or even the client being so caught up by the technology that they think the moving bling automatically engenders a positive response by visitors. They don't consider that it may make the visitor leave sooner or fail to see why they should engage.

All that said, there is a certain culture out there that thinks spinning logos are cool and want them. What I'm not sure about is whether this is just misguided developer or client vanity, or whether there is truly a section of society that is actually drawn to sites showing these spinning things (probably the same sector of society that likes websites to look like the small ads page).

I firmly believe that the alternatives to the crude bling are superior when it comes to engaging site visitors, but I'm prepared to believe that there may be some society sectors where spinning stuff is seen as attractive. You can often see this in footbal club fans who seem to love the spinning logos, yet the clubs that they follow would never use such a device.

I sometimes see similar things with regard to colour pallettes. Sometimes I see colour combinations as garish, crude and clashing and everything tells me that they should not work, yet I do recognise that often these correspond with sites coming not just from western cultures, but eastern and southern cultures where colour pallettes in society are bolder and brighter. What isn't so clear is whether some of the colour combinations are also perceived as poor in such cultures, just as we have horrific colour combinations/designs in western cultures.

Sorry for the extended thoughts about this, but my opposition to spinning bling is as much about trying to make people think about what they are doing rather than following some trend because they've seen some awful website with flashing and spinning bling that they think is a good model to follow.

I think a psychology project into website bling and attitudes to bling is long overdue!

Right, that's my therapy over. No more chasing spinning logos for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post
    Re: "The OP has not been back to the forums since the initial post was made..."

No, but there have been over four dozen views of various files related with this post, so even if the original poster never came back, it would be an exaggeration to say that no one might have gained from the discussion anyways. I have certainly benefited from advice/info given in threads that I actually had nothing to do with, post-wise.
    James I was not saying there has not been anyone helped from the discussion, only that the OP has not taken time to revisit the forums. Discussion about helping that individual has not provided any assistance to him/her.

Sadly this is the case more often than we like to think about.

Fortunately there are forum participants that do read and post comments and or questions about the content of these threads.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I agree, Bill

The original poster might never actually benefit from info that is directed towards them, if they don't come back and read it. When one posts in the Forum, they are, of course, responding to the poster personally, but also to everyone, generally. This also means that long-dead posts, if there is something new relating to techniques discussed therein, should be resurrected...if the original post still has some relevancy. I think we are in basic agreement about all of this...

We can just extend the (generous of our time/effort) help and then hope that whomever can benefit from it, sucks it up and does something with it.

In cases where the original poster is asking for some particular thing, I think viable options to that, especially if they are easier or more elegant should also be allowed into the discussion.

Peace

James

"We can just extend the (generous of our time/effort) help and then hope that whomever can benefit from it, sucks it up and does something with it.

In cases where the original poster is asking for some particular thing, I think viable options to that, especially if they are easier or more elegant should also be allowed into the discussion."

I agree, but at the same time the question should be answered and if it is a bad idea, why is it a bad idea. Many people would benefit from that information as well, including me.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.