Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do I make my two sided postcard spin? (NOOB)

Hello,

I have just downloaded this program Xara 3D Maker 7 I don't have a clue on what I'm doing if someone could walk me through the steps of making the attached images spin like this reference here
    http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5...tercitytj7.gif

that would be great. If you wanna make $10 through paypal to do the work for me that would be great also.

Front
    http://usedprototrakmillsandlathes.c...ndustries1.jpg
    Back
    http://usedprototrakmillsandlathes.c...dustries21.jpg

Default Re: How do I make my two sided postcard spin? (NOOB)

Welcome to TalkGraphics

You would need to create a solid vector shape the size of the postcard and then apply the bitmap as a texture to each side. Someone in this forum will have to tell you how to do it.

But the bigger question is why do you want to do this? It will create a large file size and would it not be better to present this information in a more coherent manner?

The whole point of this is to get people to see the information about your product and you want to make this as easy as possible for your potential visitors.

And remember, if some of your visitors have slower Internet connections, they will be long gone by the time your animation loads.

Making a simple logo spin in my opinion is mildly annoying. As is anything that is animated for the sake of animation falls into this category. Like putting dots inside the Os in the word LOOK. But as least a logo is a simple object and should load fast enough. But your postcard goes beyond what in my opinion is reasonable.

I realize I sound like an old crank. And frankly that is because I am an old crank. And for me, at any rate, life is too short to wait for a gratuitous animation to load.

Find a more appropriate use for the animation. For example, is there someway the animation could be used to demonstrate what your product does?

While I like spinning logos particularly if they are well done, I agree with Gary that this simply isn't appropriate for the two images you wish to use, because they exist to be read, to present information, not to create a memorable trademark. By all means spin a 3d trademark/logo if it is cleanly done and sufficiently visually interesting (sorry, Gary :-)), but this isn't such a logo, and is not a sensible image (or pair of images) to spin.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Making a simple logo spin in my opinion is mildly annoying.
    Words of wisdom, indeed. People who like building such distractions should ask themselves "If this is a cool and effective way to promote my message or business, why don't successful companies ever use them?". Spinning logos detract from sites, not enhance them.

I have to agree... spinning logos are passe...

Perhaps something like this is a bit better? (made with Designer Pro 7)

R_and_J.swf

When you click on it, it will show full-screen, but you can also use a placeholder and make it the size that you need. I included the "Made with Xara..." to make this a sample graphic...

Xara Designer Pro 7 is also available as a trial download and you can make this graphic yourself but without the "Made with Xara..." on it.

Peace

James

Very Nice James!
    Tom - Hwy101

Thanks, Tom

Anything to keep spinning logos minimized is an improvement for everyone. They're not all bad, but it's really only the very special ones that don't seem so generic that they scream "amateur!"

Designer Pro 7 rocks!

Peace

James

Mike - I always make an exception in your case because if you make a logo spin it is going to be a thing of beauty and well worth looking at.

Since this a an X3D forum, and since you have X3D7, I would advise you to create a slide-show in X3D7 rather than use another software.
    X3D can do much more than just spin images.
    True love is the ultimate truth

For a small shockwave flash file (website considerations), Designer Pro is better suited than 3D7, in my opinion. Since it is available as a free download to try, there is nothing that really speaks against it.

Yes, this is a Xara 3D thread, but that's not news.

Peace

James