Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 About Repeating-Objects.

Hello,
    I'm making a website which includes a huge database and 100+ pages. Recently I changed my logo and navigation bar -> used the Repeat on all pages-option.

The problem is now; how do I get the objects to appear on the new pages I add. I've added quite a few pages - and tried updating the objects, but with no result.

Is there anything I can do - except for make the whole website before adding the Logo+Navigation Bar to every page?

Thanks!

AboutTime

EDIT: I use Xara Web Designer 6 - not the pro version.
    Last edited by AboutTime; 10 June 2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Changed post icon + added program information.

Default Re: About Repeating-Objects.

Things work better in WD7 - repeating objects are always in the same position on every page and they appear on new pages (that may depend on where you create the new page though - I think it copies items from the previous page?).

In WD6 I think you have two options:
    1) Select all your repeating objects from an existing page and then 'paste in place' on a 'new' page. It helps if all these objects are on their own layer below 'mouse-off and above 'page background' although you may want the navbar on 'mouse-off' layer if there is a risk of graphics going over it.
    2) Keep a 'blank' page (or two) on your site with all the background graphics and 'duplicate' it when you need a new page.

(2) is the best option and (1) can be used to 'fix' any pages.

Better still ... upgrade to WD7?
    Hope this helps

This works in WD6, I just tested it.

From the menu bar: Edit/Pages/DUPLICATE page (from your lowest actual site page)

Then it duplicates the entire page you're on. But you only want the repeating objects, so one of those "blank" pages that a_tranter mentions should be nothing but repeating objects. I use an extra page also to store my custom graphics. If all these extra pages sound confusing, I put the name of special (sandbox) pages in VERY large red type, also so I can find them.

If you keep your site pages running right up to your SPECIAL blank pages, that will minimize moving pages around. If that makes no sense (laugh) the pages at the bottom would be like this:

-your web page
    -your web page
    - REPEATING ITEMS (thin o of it as a template for repeat pages, which updates along with all the real pages.
    - Duplicate-of-above (after you duplicate it!)
    - Custom graphics for site.

You want your duplicated blank-but-repeating pages there, which means click on your new site page (the duplicate) just once to "move page up" and it will be in order. I hope that makes sense; moving pages up and down can be a real pain in WD6 if you have to move the page up or down by 20 steps or so.

Because you're already into this site you'll have to duplicate a filled page and manually delete all the no-repeating content, just once to start. Then it will be easy after that. I promise.

Luck

Quote Originally Posted by mikehihn View Post
    This works in WD6, I just tested it.

From the menu bar: Edit/Pages/DUPLICATE page (from your lowest actual site page)

Then it duplicates the entire page you're on. But you only want the repeating objects, so one of those "blank" pages that a_tranter mentions should be nothing but repeating objects. I use an extra page also to store my custom graphics. If all these extra pages sound confusing, I put the name of special (sandbox) pages in VERY large red type, also so I can find them.

If you keep your site pages running right up to your SPECIAL blank pages, that will minimize moving pages around. If that makes no sense (laugh) the pages at the bottom would be like this:

-your web page
    -your web page
    - REPEATING ITEMS (thin o of it as a template for repeat pages, which updates along with all the real pages.
    - Duplicate-of-above (after you duplicate it!)
    - Custom graphics for site.

You want your duplicated blank-but-repeating pages there, which means click on your new site page (the duplicate) just once to "move page up" and it will be in order. I hope that makes sense; moving pages up and down can be a real pain in WD6 if you have to move the page up or down by 20 steps or so.

Because you're already into this site you'll have to duplicate a filled page and manually delete all the no-repeating content, just once to start. Then it will be easy after that. I promise.

Luck
    I must admit - I'm very confused right now.

So.. what I need to do is:

- Create a blank page where I only add the things I want to repeat on every page. This page has to be.. where?

- Duplicate the blank page with the logo and the navigation bar.. I can't really see what to do with this , sorry!

Do I have to delete every single logo and navigation bar on every page except for on one page - and use that as a template?

Things work better in WD7 - repeating objects are always in the same position on every page and they appear on new pages (that may depend on where you create the new page though - I think it copies items from the previous page?).

In WD6 I think you have two options:
    1) Select all your repeating objects from an existing page and then 'paste in place' on a 'new' page. It helps if all these objects are on their own layer below 'mouse-off and above 'page background' although you may want the navbar on 'mouse-off' layer if there is a risk of graphics going over it.
    2) Keep a 'blank' page (or two) on your site with all the background graphics and 'duplicate' it when you need a new page.

(2) is the best option and (1) can be used to 'fix' any pages.

Better still ... upgrade to WD7?
    Hope this helps
    So what I need to do, is to duplicate a page each time I create a new one?

..I'm sorry, but I don't understand this? Shouldn't the 'update repeating objects' work when I've added new pages? Makes no sense! .

Sorry, a lot of steps! I'll go step by step this time.

1) DUPLICATE one of your current pages. I do it all at the bottom and just assumed everyone did.

2) That duplicate will be your first -- let's call it a "repeating template" -- after you delete everything on that page which is not repeating. That's the ONLY time you have to delete anything.

3) Now you have a "repeating template" It has all your repeating objects, so "update all repeating objects" keeps that one up-to-date.

4) Now you want to add a new page to the actual site. DUPLICATE (not copy) your repeating template. Now you have your template and an up-to-date new page. Use either one for your new page, depending how you keep your pages organized, because the two are identical. I keep building from the bottom and should not have assumed that everyone builds from the bottom.

Keep asking if needed. I owe a LOT to this forum!

Sorry, a lot of steps! I'll go step by step this time.

1) DUPLICATE one of your current pages. I do it all at the bottom and just assumed everyone did.

2) That duplicate will be your first -- let's call it a "repeating template" -- after you delete everything on that page which is not repeating. That's the ONLY time you have to delete anything.

3) Now you have a "repeating template" It has all your repeating objects, so "update all repeating objects" keeps that one up-to-date.

4) Now you want to add a new page to the actual site. DUPLICATE (not copy) your repeating template. Now you have your template and an up-to-date new page. Use either one for your new page, depending how you keep your pages organized, because the two are identical. I keep building from the bottom and should not have assumed that everyone builds from the bottom.

Keep asking if needed. I owe a LOT to this forum!
    See, that was much more understandable - much appreciated!!

So what I need to do is;

Make a page that only contains the repeating objects. Delete all of them on the current pages - and update repeating objects. After I've done this - every page will have a repeating object.

Next time I'll make a new page - I need to duplicate THAT page? - or can I duplicate any other page, with the repeating objects on?

I hope I understood it right this time! .

Ooops. You may have phrased it wrong, and I don't want tom get in trouble! But the only thing you delete is the NON-repeating objects on that single page which will act like a template. Yes, THAT page is the one you duplicate for a new page. As long as you always have an empty page, except for all your repeating objects, the "empty" page will stay updated for you.

But you're Danish. What do you know. (laugh)

'
    Ooops. You may have phrased it wrong, and I don't want tom get in trouble! But the only thing you delete is the NON-repeating objects on that single page which will act like a template. Yes, THAT page is the one you duplicate for a new page. As long as you always have an empty page, except for all your repeating objects, the "empty" page will stay updated for you.

But you're Danish. What do you know. (laugh)
    Thanks for your help - I'll try it out asap.

I can't still not figure out what I will do with my 120 pages - which already have the logo and navigation bar. Every previous tries ended up giving me double logo's and navigation bars on the 120 pages - and one on the few new pages. (That's why I asked if I should delete them on the pages I already have ).
    Last edited by AboutTime; 11 June 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Edited gramma.