Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I recently purchased a Graphire tablet and it came with Corel Painter Classic for Windows. I like the way Painter Classic works, but it does not work well when I put the tablet in mouse (relative) mode. When it is in this mode, a pen stroke on the tablet does not make a brush stroke where the brush tool is on the screen. Instead, it makes a brush stroke to the RIGHT of where the tool is on the screen. I tried everything including deleting the driver and reinstalling but according to Wacom's site, it will only work in pen mode. The problem is that I don't like pen (absolute) mode because the arrow jumps all over the screen because each point on the tablet corresponds to a point on the screen. Does anyone here know what I could do? Are there any similar programs that don't have this problem? Would upgrading to another version help, and can you even upgrade from Painter Classic or would I have to buy the full version? I would appreciate anyone's help on this, and if I have not included enough information or you need a clarification, let me know.
    IP

I recently purchased a Graphire tablet and it came with Corel Painter Classic for Windows. I like the way Painter Classic works, but it does not work well when I put the tablet in mouse (relative) mode. When it is in this mode, a pen stroke on the tablet does not make a brush stroke where the brush tool is on the screen. Instead, it makes a brush stroke to the RIGHT of where the tool is on the screen. I tried everything including deleting the driver and reinstalling but according to Wacom's site, it will only work in pen mode. The problem is that I don't like pen (absolute) mode because the arrow jumps all over the screen because each point on the tablet corresponds to a point on the screen. Does anyone here know what I could do? Are there any similar programs that don't have this problem? Would upgrading to another version help, and can you even upgrade from Painter Classic or would I have to buy the full version? I would appreciate anyone's help on this, and if I have not included enough information or you need a clarification, let me know.
    IP

Hi,

In a phone conversation with Corel Customer Support this morning:

Painter Classic is not eligible for upgrade to Painter 7. As Painter 7 is now released, Corel is no longer selling Painter 6 (Painter Classic users can't upgrade to Painter 6 through Corel).

The Customer Support person suggested that Painter 6 might be found in retail stores at a lowered price.

Good luck,

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

you may have already done this but as a random thought. it would be a good idea to double check that the driver version you have is the most recent version.

Even if you bought the product in say, July. .. it could have been made in february and sitting in the warehouse since April ... so disappointing and frustrating though it may seem, please double check the wacom site to make sure they didn't come up with a better version since the one you got shipped.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Athena

ps: in the control panel you should be able to specify whether you want the mouse to work in relative or absolute mode. have you had any luck with that? you can also specify that it do absolute or relative for a specific program. ex: my TrueSpace 3 although a fabulous program .. does not like absolute mode ... it prefers to recieve information in relative mode so I tell the control panel to make my pen go relative just for truespace 3.
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hi Guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Tim I have/had exactly the same problem with my Intuos tablet.I have tried different drivers,different prefs you name it I have tried it.I have even had a chat with a Wacom tech to no avail.The only way I can find myself of using my tablet in Painter Classic is using pen mode,excatly the same problem crops up for me as you have explained above,I used to prefer mouse mode as well,and the only app I have found so far that lets me choose between mouse mode and pen mode without hassle is Photoshop,but after painting in Classic for a while in pen mode I found I started getting used to it and it just grew on me and I use pen mode in Photoshop as well now,and now I hardly ever use mouse mode.The good thing about pen mode is that your next pen stroke corresponds to the same place if you lift your pen,this is for tracing and copying images.Try pen mode for a while and see if you can get used to it as I have found no way around it thus far [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh ya it makes a big difference if you mess around with the mapping and say use quickpoint mode,but it does take some getting used too,but hey I am sold on pen mode now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Stu.
    IP

Corel wont sell Painter6 anymore, but the following months you'll be able to buy 6 for less than half the price. Just look around on the net. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP