Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi peoples! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

From the direction my recent "painting" thread took, i thought it might be interesting to some to better understand one method of creating a simple 2D textures that actually "looks" 3D. This type of texture is really used a lot (mainly actually) in 3D games; ala Quake, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow 6, etc..

This texture trickery can be especially useful to help make a 3D rendering more complex looking than it actually is; i.e. less polygons, but still a lot of detail & depth.

I've attached some images showing what the bacis 'effect' is. Simply put, all that was used to create the 'depth' of the texture were basic grayscale gradients and some touch-up painting using only grayscale tones. These were applied to a normal 2D texture; using Photoshop.

Anywho... just thought i'd share this idea.
    Perhaps it'll spark a new topic for some tutes? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	industrial-textures3.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	15758  

Hi peoples! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

From the direction my recent "painting" thread took, i thought it might be interesting to some to better understand one method of creating a simple 2D textures that actually "looks" 3D. This type of texture is really used a lot (mainly actually) in 3D games; ala Quake, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow 6, etc..

This texture trickery can be especially useful to help make a 3D rendering more complex looking than it actually is; i.e. less polygons, but still a lot of detail & depth.

I've attached some images showing what the bacis 'effect' is. Simply put, all that was used to create the 'depth' of the texture were basic grayscale gradients and some touch-up painting using only grayscale tones. These were applied to a normal 2D texture; using Photoshop.

Anywho... just thought i'd share this idea.
    Perhaps it'll spark a new topic for some tutes? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

...of that texture...

Name:	industrial-textures8.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	11215  

...if anyone wants to... feel free to use those textures for anything. But they're not 'perfectly' tileable though; almost. I haven't cleaned 'em up that way yet. Doh!

I don't care. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Just thought i'd follow the above up with a very simple example of how i applied the gradient technique to an actual image situation.

This was done completely in Photoshop though.
    It was designed as a header for a tutorial on how to create industrial things in Photoshop.
    I have most of the tute written, just haven't had the time to complete it and post it to my site as yet.

Hopefully i'll get it done before summer's over though. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mark...

Name:	industrial-fx.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	18577  

Thanks Mark. I really like the Rust looking texture (2nd one). So basically you do a greyscale image to represent depth (aka heightfield?) and colorize it and add details.

Did I get the steps right?

--Randy

...the other way around Randy.

Create your colourized 2D texture first, then, apply grayscale 'highlights' & 'shading' to that, using gradients (including 'multi-level' ones) as well as manually brushing the texture.

Get it?

[This message was edited by Mark (theKeeper) on August 12, 2001 at 19:56.]