Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Red face Image Clipping - large file size?? How to resize properly?

Looking for a little advise here:

I shot an image, file size was 3.2MB, I then imported that image and shrunk it using the resize bars... I then drew a circle and replaced the circle with the image (the circle contained the image) - after previewing in the browser the image reports its over 60k? How do you get that image size down, clicking optimise does not seem to correctly ''shrink'' the image.. is there a different way to resize the image that im missing?

Regards JLT - hope ive explained that well enough....

Default Re: Image Clipping - large file size?? How to resize properly?

Hi jlt. You need an expert. However, something similar that has been puzzling me is why, if I let Xara DP7 choose which format to use for exported images, it is selecting png for obvious photographs (ie jpgs). Until I find what setting I should have pressed, I have had to resort to clicking the images one by one and electing jpg for that image. My initial web publish contained gigantic pages, and this was the reason. I don't want all files to be jpgs, but neither do I want Xara to choose if it's opting for gigantic pngs. I also await your answer with bated breath.

Best wishes.

Ali

Xara automatically uses PNG to export objects that may have transparent areas. Even if the original image is JPG. The reason is that JPG does not support transparency and it may produce non WYSIWYG result. You can override it by setting bitmap type in the web properties dialog, Image tab. Or by not altering images the way they would need transparency on export. All the upright, rectangular images with no transparency or feathering applied, are exported as JPG if that was the format of the original image.
    John.

Hi John,

That's really interesting and useful. I can see the problem - that I design using placeholders. I like to do it so I can use Xara's fantastic image manipulation and change view within the same object etc. There are never any transparent areas. But this seems to mean that Xara thinks it is something different. It would be nice to be able to put a placeholder down, fill it with a jpg and have Xara know that should export as a jpeg. But it isn't a big deal.

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Artyboots View Post
    That's really interesting and useful. I can see the problem - that I design using placeholders. I like to do it so I can use Xara's fantastic image manipulation and change view within the same object etc. There are never any transparent areas. But this seems to mean that Xara thinks it is something different. It would be nice to be able to put a placeholder down, fill it with a jpg and have Xara know that should export as a jpeg. But it isn't a big deal.Ali
    The fact you use placeholders (by which I assume you mean 'predefined shapes' rather than 'HTML placeholders') isn't your 'problem'. The problem is that (for web design) JPEGs can only be rectangular with vertical sides So for any non rectangular or rotated photo the bounding rectangle (with vertical sides) must be used which means converting any text or background graphics within that bounded region into the JPEG image. This works in Xara but you get JPEG 'compression effects' within that bounding region so that any text (withing the bounding box) is not crisp and slight noise appears in 'smooth' backgrounds.

You can force WD to use JPEGs - just choose the JPEG option when you optimise.
    If you don't have much in the bounding box then forcing a JPEG is fine - although I would never do it if you have text in the bounding box area.

You also have the same problem if you just add a shadow to a 'normal' photo (WD uses PNG by default because of transparency in the shadow) - in this case I usually force it to optimise the image as JPEG instead because a few JPEG 'compression effects' in the shadow region are not usually a problem.

Getting a bit long ... sorry

In summary:
    WD automatically uses PNG format if you do any of: (a) rotate a photo (b) use shadow (c) change the shape from rectangular
    It's up to you if you want to force it to use JPEG format instead.

Hello,
    THanks for taking the trouble to give a long reply. I appreciate it. And I do understand what you are saying. I think you are right. Perhaps if I check the images I have made by dragging them on to rectangles, I will find that I inadvertantly altered their aspect somehow, although I can't really spot it. It isn't a big deal. I will just remember to optimise them now, before publishing. Or work with the image directly on the page. It's just so great being able to crop and everything else just using fill handles!

Thank you again for the full response.

Ali