Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: "Out of Memory" :(

ok soquili. I will take a look next time I boot up, but for the moment I cant upagrade though however much it struggles to perfrom, so have to work with what I've got til I can install more RAM or invest in a new laptop.

Im not sure how to split the site into sections, is it just a matter of copying pages into a new document - but how would I link them?
    Plus some of the sections would have to link to eachother - from the diagram i dont know if this is possible? Say section A would have to link to Section E and also back to the home page. And also each page links both to the home page and to the index page for that section of the business. They must be able to do both (the business has four seperate and unrelated entities). The way Im thinking of splitting the sections would mean that one of them wouldn't have a link from the home page at all - my metaphorical section E, which would contain order forms only visible once returning from PayPal, product specifications (which is accessed from FAQ link, but on a seperate page) things like that. If that makes sense.
    My logical sections are the product ranges, but then Im also left with misc. stuff "section E" that doesn't fit anywhere else, but all the product pages would have to link to it.

O i hope this doesn't turn into a bit of a mess, I only have 2 weeks left and my file's gotten so big I can barely do anything on it anymore!

Can you tell me step by step how I can approach a solution? Thanks thanks thanks!!

Hope this will help Megg.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	site_layout_example_02.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	82187

Yes, to split the .web [or .xar ... not sure which program you're using] cut & paste into a new document. Instead of one .web you'll have five or whatever.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

OK. I think I'll need to spend some good quality time on this before I upload. So I might be getting back to you with some more questions in the coming days and weeks if thats ok! Thanks for your advice. I've gone ahead and ordered another 2GB RAM too (the max that can be installed is 4GB and this will take me up to that), which should arrive in a week or so, the price was very good. So maybe that will help as well, but I can almost definately see my splitting into files being necessary.

I was really hoping I would only need to split into the 4 business areas and then link those back to the home page, that would have worked out very nicely. Who knows, maybe with that extra RAM it might work out still. It's only the one business area Im working on right now, but it's by far the biggest, there's literally like another 3 pages to go into it then it's done too. Darn! Well, fingers crossed, might just pull it off once the RAMs installed. The other three sectors shouldn't be more than 5-10 pages each so I doubting I'll encounter the same problems with those.

Thanks guys

Hi Megg81, did you try loading the file into version 7?

Hi bb2 I've not tried loading into version 7. I've only just bought 6 though about 4 months back... I think the prob may actually lie with my memory though, opposed to it being a prob with WD6 like I originally thought. I've watched the Task Manager yesterday & today while I've been doing various things and physical memory (free) varies from 9MB to 0MB depending what Im doing. But most usually it hovers around the 1, 2 or 3 MB mark. Which Im presuming is pretty low.

If installing this extra RAM doesnt improve things then I'll look at version 7 next. Cheers. Will my existing work saved in WD6 just open as normal in WD7? and are there any conflicts in using the 2? (id be just downloading a trial version to start with if there is one).

Soquili, in answer to your earlier question its Windows 7 32-bit Im using.

Megg do you know someone that is extremely well trained in computers? You can have your laptop's performance improved by removing unnecessary applications/utilities. It would be best to have someone that has a lot of experience to decide what to keep and what can be removed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Im back . . .
    Armed with more memory, but still encountering the same problem!

So I've installed another 2GB RAM (super-easy) and Im now up to 4GB which is the max my laptop will take. BUT - WD6 still says memory low, then ask it to do something else, "out of memory" then closes. Things are a little faster, but it won't even let me view my whole site in preview without doing this.

So I preview one page - it says low memory, I try to preview the site it says out of memory and closes. This too can happen with any other demanding task - eg inserting or moving pictures, editing large chunks of text. It's become unusable!

I tried to contact Xara with a support ticket but the page just says "Unable to submit the ticket; you do not have the permissions required to submit tickets on this support desk."
    How do I do it? There should now be enough RAM to get this thing to work, Im at a loss

-Added: After making a few phonecalls Ive realised my product was pruchased from the Magix website and Xara don't offer support for these products - it has to come direct from Magix and they won't talk to you unless you pay them $12.99! Ok - so ticket option with Xara is out of the question...
    Last edited by Megg81; 22 June 2011 at 02:53 PM.

I've now downloaded the trial version of WD7. I get the same Low on Memory Close any Unnecessary Programmes message but not the "out of memory" that follows it in WD6.

In WD7 though when I try to preview the entire site it prepares it up to 99% then says "Internal Error".

Aaaahhh!!!!

Surely 24MB isn't so so huge for a site is it...?

Hi submitting the file to Xara is not out of the question. A member of the support team will contact you shortly.

Additionally as i previously suggested, increasing the amount of RAM is not going to resolve the problem for you. I suspect the issue is concerning the navbar and improvements in version 7 will hopefully mean you can work on your file without problems. We do want to see the file as saved from version 6 so if you do try loading the file in version 7 then please ensure you create a copy of the file prior to loading it in version 7 so we can can see the original file.

Thanks

Thanks bb2. So I could still submit the file for someone at Xara to take a look you think?

I've found some old repeating objects (clutching at straws for a solution) behind my new ones which only appear on some of the pages, so ive been trying to delete those, but before I got half way through some of my images just became white rectangles ... and I've come to know what comes next after that - yup, "out of memory". Then an internal error meant it also wouldnt save.

What a mess...

Now the new RAM is in it doesnt freeze up when I scroll between pages, but that was only ever a minor annoyance compared with the other problems; memory, serious errors, internal errors... I've seriously never used a programme like it, it closes its self down like a dozen times a day. After a bit more use I got the same out of memory message in WD7 too AND a low memory message just with a blank document in WD6. Yes I have a copy of the file before it was opened in 7 - it must be something to do with my file, noone else seems to have quite this many problems!

p.s I see the Email - cheers bb2.
    Last edited by Megg81; 22 June 2011 at 05:31 PM.