Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation "Out of Memory" :(

One error messge down, one to go...

Im constantly getting "memory low" and "out of memory" messages. Once I get the out of memory message the programme closes. Just now I was only highlighting text to resize when "out of memory" and prog closed. I always get the low memory messages when viewing a single page - I've given up trying to view the whole site.

The website is getting pretty big 59 pages currently and there are a lot of images (around 200). Thing is they're product images and have to be high resolution so they can be zoomed in on without being blurred. I optimized all .jpgs about a month back, but when I saw how bad they looked in a popup I had to delete them all and re import them. Total waste of time. So that's not an option.

I've uninstalled WD6 today, deleted 42GB of stuff off the hard drive, defragmented it, then reinstalled WD6. It's not made any difference! I have 2GB RAM and 144GB free disc space, so that should be sufficient right? (still get the message with no other programmes open than WD)

There's loads more to go on the site over time. This 59 pages is just one section of the business and it's not finished yet. I sincerely doubt Im ever gonna get it to export bearing in mind i get "out of memory" when trying to select text!

So any suggestions anyone on how I can reduce the size or solve this problem?
    I've read a few times about breaking the site down in sections - folders? If this is gonna work could someone explain how I'd do it kind of step by step? and then how does it work when you go to export it? This is my first Xara site and only my second website. Sure I'll get there in the end!

Thanks for anyone's help

...ps is this really a memory problem or should I be looking to download a patch or something instead?

Default Re: "Out of Memory" :(

Megg is the message "memory low" about your system being low on virtual memory?

If that is the case the problem is due to memory, both RAM and hard drive space. Windows will report "your system is low on virtual memory" when there are many things being loaded into RAM when the system boots and when the number of open applications require a lot of hard drive space for swapping information between RAM and the hard drive.

What version of Windows are you running? Do you know how many applications are loading themselves or parts of themselves into RAM when your system boots up? How do you have system configured for virtual memory? Is it a set amount or can Windows allocate virtual memory as needed?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

O sorry, not much of that means much to me...
    Im running Windows 7.

The actual error message in Xara reads "Warning from Xara Web Designer. Memory is getting low. Please close any unnecessary documents before continuing. Click help to find ways to reduce memory usage" this preceeds "out of memory (sting of numbers / letters)" then it offers to send an error report, then closes. Sometimes there's nothing else open except Xara and i still get the low memory message.

I don't know the answers to your other questions about virtual memory, or how to find out on my computer. If you can tell me where to look then I can see.

I've attached a thumbnail of my task manager if that is of any use?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	task manager.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	82170

The Thumbnail is with WD6 open by the way. If that makes a difference.

Megg if you are running the 32bit version of Windows 7 I would recommend upgrading to 3GB RAM. If you are running the 64bit version of Windows 7 I would recommend upgrading to a minimum of 4GB RAM, 8GB if your motherboard will support it.

Notice how much RAM your system is reporting as being free, highlighted using cyan in the attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	megg-task-manager.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	82172  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If it's not an option to optimise, then you could split the site into (say) image categories
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

ok thanks, that's good advice. I can't do that for a while though, so is there anything that I could do with my file to improve my success with Xara given the current spec of my computer? Because I have to get this site finished and I doubt I'll be able to upgrade before it's done.

Hi Neodeist. How would I do that...? and is it likely to result in the prog using less memory?

Megg the next time you reboot your machine and before you open any application, use Task Manager to look at the amount of free memory your system reports. You will probably be amazed about how much is already being used by things being loaded by your system. You did not say what brand of computer you are using by all of them come preloaded with a lot of unnecessary software that is designed to load and stay in memory. Most of it is useless or actually tracking your usage and causes "out of memory" issues when the programs you want to use are loaded.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Megg - Soquili is giving good advice. Splitting the site will help to some extent because you have a number of files instead of one big file. Here's an example ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	site_layout_example.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	82173  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

If you are using WD6 then it is worth trying WD7. There were a number of improvements introduced which may mean your file opens and exports without memory warnings.