Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Printing a Xara Designer Pro 7 web page

Hi

I have been experimenting with printing from web pages made with DP7. The results are poor in both main browsers. Firefox shows a strange facsimile of the page, tiny. Explorer prints three pages, two of which are a wide stripe of background and the other page a stripe of content - about a third of the width: all right aligned.

Please could you let me know how I can design pages so that they print acceptably. I think I must be doing something wrong. I realise I can offer a pdf to print but people prefer just to hit print. What have I missed?

Many thanks in advance.

Ali

Default Re: Printing a Xara Designer Pro 7 web page

Hi Ali

not a webdesigner so I can't help you with the problem, but speaking purely as a user, I'd go for a PDF download everytime, printing from a browser frequently falls over in my experience.. as much to do with the browsers as anything I think
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi

Thanks for responding. There are always challenges with printing web pages - it's not restricted to Xara by any means. But I feel sure that I have something in my design that is particularly distorting the browser's printing.

Need to get the site up thereafter can play with the printing. I think I will follow your advice and do a PDF anyway. That's a good idea.

More later...

Best wishes.

Ali

Agree with Steve, printing what you see in a browser on your printer rarely turns out good. Get something like 995pdf (free including annoying ads) and print as pdf and then print to printer. Works like a charm every time.

Hello there,

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry to ask a newb question, but wouldn't XDP7's own pdf export be able to do the job? It's been many years since I've made PDFs.

Thanks again.

Ali

Yes, but from within DP not from a browser. Export as PDF then print the PDF file.

Tom

Hi Tom

All I was meaning was that I wonder whether the PDF files made by Xara are small enough for the web. Am doing something tricky but will experiment later.

Have to say I am finding DP7 absolutely extraordinary. So many times I go to do something and I find the program has done it all by itself. It's quite extraordinary.

Best wishes.

Ali

the PDF export in designer has various options including an email/webdownload

advantage of pdf is you can put a high quality print version up if you wish to let you visitors have a decent print to hardcopy version, rather than screen quality
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...