Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Publishing

Default Publishing

Hi,
    I'm new to Xara, and I'm not really great at website stuff, so bear with me.
    I have a host and an addon domain that I want to publish a new site to, from Xara. When Xara asks me for the FTP host address, is that the server name? Or the addon domain name? Or something else altogether?
    I've looked in the host Cpanel under FTP accounts and the info given there doesn't identify exactly what's what, or its a bit confusing anyway.
    So essentially, I'm looking for the FTP host address, The FTP username, and the FTP password.
    And what should I call the files that will be the site?
    I don't know if I'm making sense?

Thanks anyway
    Eoinmc

Default Re: Publishing

I can sympathize. I focus a lot on Internet beginners.

The "Publish" instructions tell you to contact your isp -- which is who you're hosting with -- because they can help with your password and username if you don't know what they are. It's been a while since I used CPanel, but the username and password should be the same ones that got you into CPanel. The host address is your domain name, like mydomain.com.

THEN you stop making sense (laugh). How do you mean "name the files?" Xara names the first file (on top) "index" -- which would be your home page, but maybe not if you're THAT new. As for the other filenames, if you can be on one page, click the link to another page, and the other page opens, then your filenames are okay. Just be sure the very top web page in Xara is the home page -- the first page that people land on.

If that info -- username and password -- is different that for CPanel, then ask your provider (hosting company). ISP means Internet Service Provider.

Just ask.

Thanks Mike,
    I try that.

What I meant by 'name the files' is - when I saved the webpage to my disc it saved as 'social networking site' so I wondered if I published it, how anyone would find it.
    But I think I get it now - Xara sorts out that side of things.

Thanks again and best regards
    Eoinmc

I'm still stuck.
    I have all the details, but I'm wondering if I'm putting them in correctly?
    I have tried my MAIN domain name in the FTP Host address.
    The User name and Password I'm using are the ones I use to log on to my Cpanel.

I want the site to open in my addon domain name. I've tried putting that in the subfolder box.

Do I need to put in any /public_html or stuff like that into any of the boxes.

When I click on OK at the end of the Web Properties publishing menu, the menu just disappears and its obvious that nothing has uploaded.

Help,

I have since discovered that I should first export my site to my own disc.
    I've tried this and I'm getting this message back - 'Unable to find the filter to import that file with'. It say the very same thing when I try to preview the site!

I'm baffled - especially as I am not importing - I'm exporting.

Publish settings:
    The FTP host address: www.yourdomain.com
    FTP user name and password: same as cPanel
    Sub-folder: public_html
    (IF your host places all public web pages in a sub folder, put it in this field. Some do, some don't. Likely that yours does since public_html is a standard web folder. Others would be web, www, etc.)

Before you publish to the web, you make a local copy.
    Don't Export. Do Preview: File > Preview Website
    Choose a folder in your Documents folder (I created a folder especially for this purpose so the web files are in one place not in the general main Documents folder of my own computer. You don't want to delete these files. Xara will use them going forward...).

Once you have the file previewed, you will be able to publish to the host on the web.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Thanks Samantha,

I tried that and still no joy.

I think it has something to do with this filter thing. The site won't preview for me. I keep getting the same message back 'Unable to find the filter to import that file with'.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me.

It looks like the HTML export filter (the error message is misleading though I thought that had been fixed) has failed to register correctly. If you quit WD and then right click on the shortcut to it and select "Run as administrator" then this should hopefully allow it to register the filter correctly. You should then be able to run it normally and it still work.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry,

So far so good. That worked, in that I can now preview the site, and export it to my documents. It still wont upload to my webspace though. The dialogue box (Web Properties>Publish) switches off immediately when I click OK and no upload happens.

Nearly there...I think

Are you actually selecting the "Publish to website" option? It sounds like you are just setting the publish settings in the web properties dialog...

The "Publish to website" button is the one that looks like a mountain transmitting a radio signal on the flyout off the "Export website" button. You can also use the "Publish website" item from the File menu.

Gerry