Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default .pdf not loading from nav bar

Yes, it's me and the nav bar AGAIN. This time, I have a .pdf that I want to load from a sub nav bar button. When I look at the site locally it works fine, but when I publish to the 'net I get a page saying that the file cannot be found. I've made sure it's in the directory for the site and it STILL doesn't come up. What am I doing wrong?

Kit

Default Re: .pdf not loading from nav bar

Are you linking to the file in the Website Properties > Link > Link to File (PDF, AVI etc.)?

If you use this link, Web Designer puts a copy of the PDF in your Index_HTML_files folder. And as long as you upload this folder with your page files the PDF document should be linked. Whether you use an external FTP application of publish right from within WD6.

I found the folder on the site but the file was not in it. I transferred it over and now I've re-linked the file to that particular instance in the Index_HTML folder. I'm loading it now and if it doesn't work......... I'll be back. And....I'm back. No worky. This is the message I get: Page Not Found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try the following:

* If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
    * Click the Back button in your browser to try another link.
    * Use a search engine like Google to look for information on the Internet.

If you'd like to look at the site yourself, it's bchhcwi.org and it's under About Us - it's the Membership Form at the bottom. I linked it in Web Properties as a file and it should open in a new window.
    Last edited by Kitrinka; 30 May 2011 at 03:37 AM.

The link on this menu option is to the pdf file located in the same folder as your index.htm. Obviously, it's not there. You have either upload your PDF file to this folder or change your link to point to the file within the index_htm_files folder. In this particular case the correct link is:
    Code:
    index_htm_files/Membership Form 2011 _2_.pdf
    John.

1. How are you uploading your files to your web host?

2. How are you linking to the PDF file?

That's what I did. It wasn't in the index_htm folder so I put it in there and then re-linked it.

Uploading using the program itself, then went in using FileZilla to check to see if everything was there. That's when I found that the .pdf file was missing from the Index folder and uploaded it. I'm having some other weird problems with this site and may just have to recreate it in NO because I haven't had IE9 problems like I do with Xara.

1. I am uploading using the Publish website feature in 6
    2. I am linking from the Web Properties page.

NEW: I linked another .pdf from the NavBar and it shows up just fine. But these other two will not show up no matter where I put them. There has GOT to be a solution to this problem. When I click on one of the links that does not load, it does not show the Index_HTML_files folder before the file name but the file IS in the folder (I went in using FileZilla and checked). So why won't it show up?

Also, I believe this is an IE issue, but suddenly all my text has changed colors and size for no apparent reason. Looks fine in Firefox. Comment?