Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Image dimensions different in Xara and browser?

I'm seeing this in many images created in Xpro. Why is it that XPro5 shows my image dimensions as 105x98 px but when measured in the browser its far different (940x138). Scaling in Xpro is 100% and also in browser so I'm quite sure of the dimensions being measured. This makes image sizing a guessing game to fit in the required place on the web page.

Default Re: Image dimensions different in Xara and browser?

Any example design would be useful.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Any example design would be useful.
    Here is the draft site. Its Wordpress (!) and the header area image dimensions are styled in the WP stylesheet. I've made all widths/heights 960px x 135px to match my image but the image in my IE8 browser doesn't quite fill the header area. I'll quite understand if you think this question should be on the WP forums but dimension miss-matches occur in non-WP sites as well.

I don´t know how you are exporting your images from Xara. It would be great is you give us more details on how you have setup your document in Xara/ how are you exporting (or even better post the XAR file with just the header/image you want to export so we can take a look).
    Make sure that there´s no transparent objects (or solid objects with the same color as the background) somewhere in the drawing that are affecting the size of the export (Reduce the view quality to Outlines so you can quickly check it out).
    The image size of your header is 941 × 198 so it´s natural it won´t cover the 960px space. If this image was exported by Xara you probably made something wrong in Xara/export.
    Last edited by MEB; 29 May 2011 at 05:10 PM.

MEB - be glad to show you the xar file I don't see any controls to attach it to this reply?? I select only the grouped drawing to export.

Try this first: draw a (white in this case) rectangle with 960px x 135px and put it behind your group. Make sure everything is inside the new rectangle. Group everything and export. You should get the right dimensions.

To attach an image/file in this forum:
    You have to select the clip icon when you are writing/editing your post. A new browser window will appear. Select add files button on top right corner. A new box appear. Click on Select Files button. A regular OS file manager window will appear. Select the file you want to upload.The file will show up in the previous box. Click upload files button.
    The the file now will appear in the initial browser window already selected. You just have to click Insert Inline button at the bottom to add it to your post.
    Pretty simple uh?
    Last edited by MEB; 29 May 2011 at 05:48 PM.

header.xar

Found the clip icon under Go Advanced. Here is the xar file.

I´ve checked your file in Xara Xtreme 5 Pro and everything´s fine. It exports correctly at 960x135 px. Make sure you have 96dpi in Bitmap Size and Resolution section in Bitmap Size tab in JPEG Export Bitmap Options.
    Another detail you must pay attention: make sure the position of the rectangle uses round numbers in both size and position. I mean NO decimal numbers.
    Last edited by MEB; 29 May 2011 at 06:11 PM.